Friday, October 17, 2008

Thunderbolts 123

Story- The Secret Skrull Invasion is in full swing, and the Thunderbolts are the only Super Hero team that still have a communication system, thanks to Norman Osborn using his own equipment and not Tony Stark. After Norman drives "Captain Marvel" away, he directs the Thunderbolts to head to Washington DC to protect the nations capital. He warns them that anyone could be a Skrull, so if anyone acts Skrully, kill them. Norman secretly tells Moonstone to keep an eye on Swordsman's sister, since it seems so obvious she is a Skrull. Norman tells Moonstone to kill her in front of Swordsman, so that when she reverts to her Skrull form, he will direct his rage at the Skrulls. After following the Strucker's at a distance, Moonstone blasts Swordsman, and offers to make an alliance with Swordsman's sister, and join up with the Skrulls. Meanwhile, the team battles admirably against the Skrulls, but the Skrulls gain a slight advantage by the end of the issue, as Norman goes insane after seeing a small army of Spider-Men.

Overall- God help me, but I really liked this issue. I mean I REALLY liked it. I wanted to hate it, because of my hatred for the whole Secret Invasion, but the writer, Christos Gage did such a great job with the characters, especially Norman Osborn, that I just can't bring myself to say anything bad about this comic. Norman Osborn was absolutely hilarious throughout the comic. I got a kick out of his way to motivate the team, "Fail me and I'll kill you". I also thought it was funny the way his battle armor was green, obviously alluding to his Green Goblin persona. Osborn was truly at his crazy best here. Moonstone's "betrayal" was a surprise, but completely in line with her character. Throughout the early Thunderbolts, I mean the original team, she would change sides to her benefit practically every other issue. Overall, a great comic, and with Marvel Comics lately, I don't just throw the word great around arbitrarily.

No comments:

Post a Comment