Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mighty Avengers 19

It says "Secret Invasion" on the cover... You know, the Skrulls love to run around saying "He loves you", but I have a funny feeling that in actuality, Joe Quesada hates me...

Overall- Just so you know, right off the bat, I was/am a huge fan of the Grant Morrison version of Marvel Boy. On top of that, the original Captain Marvel is one of the characters I have the most respect for in the Marvel Universe.

That might sound weird, respecting a comic book character, but reading about his life and death made me respect him immensely. With that being said, I STILL consider this Captain Marvel to be one of the WORST abominations that Marvel has ever come up with. A Skrull pretending to be Captain Marvel is insulting on too many levels to even count.

When Marvel Boy was brought out of mothballs during the Civil War last year, I was happy to see him again, being as I said, a fan of the character. However, now that Brain Bendis has his hands on the character, I shudder to think of what will wind up happening to him...

It's funny, because I started out as a huge fan of Bendis, I loved his work on Ultimate Spider-Man for about the first 70 issues or so and I generally enjoyed his Avengers Disassembled storyline, even though there were enough plot holes to fly an airplane through. I also thought House of M was a good story, up until the asinine ending. However, Bendis seems to have made a habit of completely ignoring what has occurred in previous/older comic books and gone on to do whatever he's wanted to, continuity be damned.

I'll continue to read about the Avengers, even though Bendis is slowly destroying everything they were originally based on, because I am and always will be a fan of the Avengers. I'm just hoping that Marvel Boy gets out of this mess called "Secret Invasion" intact and winds up far away from Bendis... Anyone who knows anything about me knows of my blind hatred of "Secret Invasion", so although Marvel Boy appears in this comic, I can't give it a grade higher then 3 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment