Sunday, October 5, 2008

Birds of Prey 122, Flash 244, Legion of Super Heroes 46, Teen Titans 63

Let's get started here. I'll start off with Birds 122. The Good- Pretty much the whole comic. The story is really coming together, and I can't wait for the confrontation next month between Oracle and Joker. Joker is the reason Oracle is wheel chair bound, so I'll be interested on how the writer(Tony Bedard)plays this angle up. The Bad- I still hate Misfit. It's that simple. She hasn't grown on me(and I've been reading Birds since Misfit first showed up)and I just want her gone. All she does is annoy me to no end. She doesn't belong on the team, with the team or anywhere near the team, PERIOD. So, in case I haven't made myself perfectly clear, I want Misfit to fall to the depths of comic book limbo, never to be seen or heard from again. Overall-I'd definitely recommend this comic, regardless of my seething hatred of Misfit.

Flash 244:The Good-This comic was a LOT less convoluted than the prior Flash comics had been. Maybe it was due to the fact that there was a new creative team, but this comic was much easier to follow. The story was good, I didn't have a problem with the villain introduced and I liked that Flash and his wife were going to restrict their kids from super heroics(10 is a little too young to be a Super Hero methinks). The Bad-Since it seems that Barry Allen has come back during Final Crisis(I have all the Final Crisis comics that have come out thus far, but I'm waiting to read them until I have the whole series. I always liked reading a whole mini-series in one sitting, as opposed to little by little over the course of several months.)I have been dreading what DC has in store for the current Flash, Wally West. I hope the occurrences in this comic(Wally's powers kept fading on him) aren't leading towards Barry becoming the Flash again. Overall-Another good comic. It was the beginning of a new storyline and thus far I am optimistic.

Legion 46:The Good-I have been collecting this series from its onset, and have always enjoyed it. This issue was no different. Another good story, that saw some plot threads start to come together, Lightning Lad discovering what happened with Saturn Girl and Ultra Boy, Brainiac 5 trying to figure out what's up with those alien destroyers, the stuff with Projectra, etc.) The Bad- I really wish the writer(Jim Shooter) would stop using so much of that future speak between the characters. An example of this is the way he keeps using words like "Florg" and "Zeezeed". Why can't he just have the characters say "$%@#" if something angers them enough that they need to use profanity? In the past couple of issues its become really noticeable. Yes, I know that's a petty complaint, but it's my blog and I can be as petty as I want, so there! Overall-No complaints about this comic at all. So far I can say I've enjoyed practically every issue in the whole series.

Teen Titans 63:The Good-They seem to be developing the current storyline around Wonder Girl, which always makes me happy. The stuff with Bombshell was fine with me as well. For the most part this was a set up issue, since it was the first part of a new storyline, and it went rather smoothly. The Bad- To put it bluntly, for the most part, I just don't care about this comic any more. I am in no way condemning writer Sean McKeever, because it's not his fault and as a matter of fact, I like alot of his past work. The blame lays solely in the laps of the editors in charge of DC. For a little backround, the first DC series I ever read was Young Justice, which was the precursor to Teen Titans, because I was angered at the way Marvel was doing things, as well as the fact that it's written by one of my all time favorite writers, Peter David. I brought the whole series off of eBay, and read every issue, enjoying every single one so much that I returned to eBay and wound up buying the complete runs of Superboy and Impulse(who were founding members of Young Justice.). Therein lies the problem. Superboy died in Infinite Crisis, while Impulse kicked the bucket in Flash: The Fastest Man Alive. During this run of the Teen Titans, Impulse/Kid Flash was far and away my favorite character, followed by Superboy, then Wonder Girl, Ravenger and Robin. The current lineup of the Teen Titans only has Wonder Girl and Robin out of my group of favorites. To me it just doesn't feel the same without Impy's impulsive behavior and Superboy's cocky attitude. Red Devil(who's OK) and Blue Beetle(who I don't really like) just can't fill the shoes of the characters that have departed the book. Boy, I sure went off on a tangent there... Overall-The story in this comic was good, but the series is sorely lacking(if that makes any sense.). The roster needs a transfusion of new (or old)blood badly. I know I'll keep reading Teen Titans, that's just how I am, but I hope they shake things up really soon. Either that or PLEASE bring back Bart Allen!!!!!! PLEASE!!!

4 comments:

  1. I haven't been too keen on the whole Flash-with-a-family issues since Bart died and Wally and co. came back. I'm looking forward to Barry's return. Who knows? Maybe DC has other plans for WW. After all, he's still a Titan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nothing against Barry, but I REALLY wish it would have been Bart who came back. After practically watching him grow up, it still hurts to think about his death...

    As for Wally, I have this terrible feeling that there will be one big name character killed off at the end of Final Crisis, sacrificing their life or something like that, and I just can't shake the feeling that Wally is going to be that sacrifice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it'll be WW who's sacrificed. Check out the preview images here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know... I can't imagine that DC would kill off Wonder Woman considering she is one of the most iconic characters in all of DC...

    Then again, who thought they would have killed off Supes back in the 90's? Plus, Marvel did kill off Captain America and continue his series without him, so who knows what DC might do?

    Personally, I think if WW died, she'd be back in less then a year!

    ReplyDelete