Monday, June 20, 2011

X-Men: Prelude to Schism #3 & Titans #36

I'm getting towards the bottom of my new comics pile, so the next few comics coming up are the ones I really wasn't looking forward to reading. That doesn't mean they won't be good or anything, I just don't expect anything from them...

X-Men: Prelude to Schism #3(of 4):

Summary: This issue is ALL about Lord Summers the First, otherwise known as Cyclops/Scott Summers. Lord Summers is contemplating what move he should make against whatever this massive force that's rapidly approaching Crazy Mutie Island(Utopia), with his two options being to evacuate or stand and fight. Before making his decision Lord Summers' mind goes back to the woman who had the greatest impact on his life, Jean Grey... I mean his mother... Huh, didn't see that one coming. Anyway, after a few flashback sequences, Lord Summers makes up his mind and heads out to address his most trusted teammates. And Shadowcat... I'm not sure how she managed to get into the inner circle... Anyway, this issue ends with Lord Summers declaring that he'd be staying to fight the dread menace of the mystery foe.

Thoughts: Sarcasm aside, I enjoyed this issue for the most part. It was a real good issue for people relatively unfamiliar to Cyclops, as it gave a bunch of flashbacks detailing a few important moments from his formative years. Granted, the fact that he was thinking about his mother kind of took me by surprise(nobody EVER talks about poor Katherine Summers!), since I REALLY thought it would be revealed he was thinking about Jean, but whatever. I am a bit bothered that we still don't know what this massive, deadly, horrendous threat to the X-Men is, but hopefully we'll find out next issue. Other than that, this was a perfectly acceptable comic.

Score: 7 1/2 out of 10.You'd think Namor would at least get a little dressed up for this meeting...


Titans #36:

Summary: Deathstroke manages to escape the catacombs of Drago's lair thanks to the vision in his torn out left eye returning. After getting past Drago's minions, Slade meets up with Cinder and the two continue onward to find and kill Drago. As for Drago, he's currently in the process of being betrayed by Cheshire and That Junkie. Drago's goons enter the room to assist their master, as do Slade and Cinder. Slade immediately squares off against Drago, while everybody else heads into the background for their fight. Slade manages to figure out a way to counter Drago's telepathy, and is about to decapitate Drago, until Drago makes a promise that he'd leave Slade alone(or something, I really don't care that much...). With that, Slade tells the Titans they were leaving, and the team reluctantly does. Slade tells Cheshire and That Junkie that they were all even now(after That Junkie and Cheshire betrayed Slade to Drago), and this issue ends with the Justice League of Losers confronting Slade and the Titans for the murder of Ryan Choi.

Thoughts: Meh. This is one of those DC comics that I usually can't stand, but with the whole Reboot coming up, I can't really get myself to care enough about this series to get angry or anything... I just kind of read through this one totally disconnected from the story and the characters in it, since it all doesn't matter. That's probably why the score is higher than usual, I really don't care one way or the other.

Score: 6 1/2 out of 10.That normally doesn't end well...

4 comments:

  1. hey fellow wally west fan I think you'll like this


    http://devilkais.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3jko5h

    Saidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn is that some sweet artwork! Impulse, Inertia AND the Shade?! Yes, please! That Flash picture, as well as the excellent, thoughtful looking Mr. Sinister and of COURSE classic Apocalypse are all kinds of awesome... And you already know how I feel about that Nate pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'll do an X-factor one & the revamp of Stryfe next, I'll let you know anyway

    Oh & titans still blow, can't Slade be back at being a punchclock mercenary that pops up from time to time & just does it for the paycheck? I loved him that way!
    To think Ryan Choi was killed for this is just sickening

    Saidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, we agree on a lot of things, Saidi... It's kind of Uncanny! I thought DC was going to take Slade back in the "kick ass merc" direction after that Deathstroke one-shot a while back, but no, here he is running a team of rejects, doing nothing of importance. And if ANYBODY should have died, it's that boring ass Ray Palmer Atom, but that'll never happen because of Geoff Johns and his hard-on for all Silver Age characters. Oh, and I am DEFINITELY looking forward to that Stryfe pic, he's def one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete