Friday, October 22, 2010

Loki #1(of 4)

Overall: Hmm, first off, allow me to state that I have no idea when this mini-series takes place, and if it's canon or not... Okay. It seems Loki is hiding from his fellow Asgardians on a remote spot on Earth, living a simple life as nothing more than a petty caveman. Unfortunately for Loki, his brother, Thor, manages to track him down and tells Loki that all of Asgard had been searching for him. Loki glares at Thor and thinks to himself that Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, should have been his... And with that we get a flashback. Loki thinks back to how he brought Mjolnir to Asgard and how he was humiliated and mutilated by his brother Thor while all of the Asgardians looked on and laughed. Thor is surprised by Loki's recounting of the story of Mjolnir, since that isn't the way Thor recalls things going down. In the end though, Thor tells Loki that these stories were irrelevant, and that since Loki had murdered Balder(huh?)the cycle of Ragnarök was once again upon the Asgardians(again, huh?)and that Thor was there to judge Loki for his many evil deeds.

Well, that was... interesting. I'm not really sure where this story falls in the larger picture... Did this take place back before(during)the Avengers Disassembled storyline where Thor went through Ragnarök and all of the Asgardians died? I mean, I don't think this is current, because to my knowledge Loki hasn't killed Balder recently. Or is this just some alternate universe story? My guess is that this is just a way for Marvel to get Loki's origin out there with the Thor movie coming to theaters eventually. So yeah, I was pretty confused trying to place the time of this story. The story itself was good though. I liked the way Loki told his origin with everybody else being the bad guys, while he was the victim, which wasn't how Thor remembered it being at all. This was an okay start to this mini-series, and I'll definitely be picking up the rest of this mini if only to try to piece together what was going on here and when this was all happening.

Score: 7 out of 10.Man, Loki's life really sucks...

5 comments:

  1. Not at all what I expeceted, which is okay because it doesn't seem to mention anything about Siege....the art looks cool too! Thanks for the review X.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't what I expected either, Kello! It was basically just Loki hiding out in a cave until Thor came, and then they started telling stories... It was weird. I'm really curious to see what this is all about/when it happened, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a bit late with this (two years, embarrassing) and having read the rest of the mini series I bet you've already figured out, but these stories are not based on Marvel ideas, but on the mythology itself (with a few small changes by Marvel, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, you are absolutely correct, Anon. I actually didn't pick up/read the rest of this mini-series until like 6 months ago, so it's still rather fresh on my mind. I can honestly say I enjoyed it as a whole more than just reading this single issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, this happens in the original Norse stories. Loki gets his mouth sewn shut for going back on a deal or two. Not sure where it takes place in the Marvel Universe, but it definitely happened in the original tales. Also, a lot of comic reader thought it odd that Loki walked around in Sif's body the past couple of years, but in the original tales, Loki changed gender a LOT.....

    ReplyDelete