Thursday, October 21, 2010

Daken: Dark Wolverine #2

Overall: This issue gets underway with Daken playing mind games with the leader of the Red Right Hand, who were responsible for sending Wolverine to Hell. It seems that the mysterious leader of the RRH wants Daken to kill Mystique, but for reasons of his own, Daken refuses, which angers the RRH leader. From there, Daken heads to his hotel, where he discovers Mystique waiting. Daken tells Mystique that he was instructed to kill her, but that he refused. The two then decide to go out for drinks... Huh. Anyway, the two go to the restaurant(where Mystique doesn't even bother to hide her appearance, even though she's a wanted terrorist)and Daken realizes that he and Mystique are quite similar, which seems to give him pause. He leaves to compose himself and possessed demon Wolverine arrives on the scene and attacks Mystique. Daken comes back and warns possessed demon Wolvie to leave Mystique alone, which possessed demon Wolvie is happy to do, since possessed demon Wolvie explains that he wasn't there to harm Mystique. With that, possessed demon Wolvie grabs Daken's arm and burns him alive, ending this issue.

Hmm... This was one of the RARE issues featuring Daken that I just didn't like. I've really become a huge fan of Daken these past few years, and always look forward to any comic he appears in, but this one fell flat for me. I just didn't get it. I don't know what's the deal with these Red Right Hand guys, I didn't know who the RRH member Daken was speaking to was, nor did I get how that RRH member was able to use magic to set himself ablaze. The story just lost me. I did like Daken and Mystique's interactions, and liked the way Daken seemed a bit weirded out by the fact that he saw so much of himself in Mystique. Daken is always in complete control of his situations and emotions, and an infatuation with Mystique would definitely throw a monkey wrench into his plans for world domination. So yeah, surprisingly I can't say I totally enjoyed this issue, which is strange. Oh well, hopefully next issue things start to make sense again.

Score: 6 out of 10.Yep, I sure do like the name, "Possessed demon Wolverine".

No comments:

Post a Comment