Monday, August 31, 2009

M-A-R-V-E-L M-O-U-S-E!

If you haven't heard the news, you should probably check out this link. So, it looks like Disney is going to wind up purchasing Marvel Entertainment for 4 billion dollars... I'm not sure what I think about this... I've always liked the fact that Marvel was its "own" company, unlike DC, which is a part of the WB conglomerate. To me, that always made Marvel seem more "edgy" then the WB's DC. Will this new ownership have any real effect on Marvel? I don't know, I kind of doubt it. I doubt Disney is going to change a successful company like Marvel too much. I'd imagine there will be some reorganization at the top of Marvel, mainly little things like name changes for certain executive positions, but I can't imagine much else changing. Hopefully Disney will stay out of the creative side of Marvel and not try to tone down the product in any way. The day we get a Wolverine/Mickey Mouse crossover is probably the day I finally go stark raving mad and end up in a padded room! Well, that's what I think, let's hear what you guys think about this mega-sale!

2 comments:

  1. Actually I've always heard that Disney is extremely cheap when it comes to talent. Could Marvel end up suffering an exodus when all of their top talent are insulted with low figures.

    Down-side: Dan Slott leaving

    Up-Side: Brian Michael Bendis leaving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know, would Disney really be dumb enough to mess with a successful formula? For better or worse, Marvel is the #1 comic book company in the world, you'd think Mickey would keep his hands off and let business run as usual.

    If anything, I'd expect Disney to take more interest in the cartoon/movie side of Marvel and leave the comic book side alone. However, if BENDIS was let go over monetary concerns, I'd probably party for a week!

    ReplyDelete