Friday, May 29, 2009

Vigilante #6

This is the conclusion of the Titans-Teen Titans-Vigilante crossover, "Deathtrap". Thus far I haven't been impressed with this x-over, so lets see if writer Marv Wolfman can salvage something here.

-This issue begins with Deathstroke the Terminator battling his insane son, and the villain behind the whole Deathtrap mess, Jericho. As Deathstroke and Jericho battle, Vigilante moves into position and watches the fight.

-Ultimately Jericho gets the upper hand, but is shocked to discover the Titans and Teen Titans surrounding the scene of the battle. Jericho accuses the Titans of being illusions, since he believes he killed the two Titans teams, but Raven reveals that the real illusion was the deaths of the Titans. "Deathstroke" then turns into Miss Martian, just to make this comic even worse for me.

-The Titans place a helmet on Jericho which is supposed to prevent him from jumping into any one's body, and turn him over to the cops.

-While the Titans are all patting each other on the backs and Beast Boy is practically making out with Cyborg, Vigilante breaks into the paddy wagon holding Jericho and drugs the cops inside. Vigilante then proceeds to poke out Jericho's eyes with a knife, since he promised Ravager he wouldn't kill Jericho. The issue ends with the two Titans teams finding the eye-less Jericho screaming about the voices in his head.

Wow... That was awful! This crossover really sucked! I thought for sure that this storyline would end with Vigilante killing Jericho, but the way things actually ended up was WAY worse. Now Jericho is blind? What the hell does THAT accomplish? Hell, they should have just killed Jericho off instead. At least that way he could have taken part in "Blackest Night". There's nothing left to do with a blind Jericho... Dumb...

Needless to say, the fact that Deathstroke didn't even really appear was just more salt in the wound for me. Then again, I doubt adding Deathstroke would have made a difference. Adding Batman, Lex Luthor and an army of flying monkeys wouldn't have made this x-over any better! I hate to say it, but it seems that much like Chris Claremont, Marv Wolfman just doesn't have it anymore... I also think this will be the last issue of Vigilante I spend my money on. Through six issues and a crossover, the new Vigilante just hasn't managed to grab my attention. He's just another boring gun-toting uninspired anti-hero.

Oh, and before I end this review, I have to say that I wish Beast Boy would just bang Cyborg already! I can't be the only one who can sense the sexual tension between those two, can I? I mean, I get that they're friends and all, but come on already! No wonder Raven broke it off with Beast Boy, she could probably sense who he really wanted. For a score, I'll give this comic a 3 out of 10. My advice? Avoid this x-over at all costs!

No comments:

Post a Comment