Sunday, May 3, 2009

Detective Comics #853

This is the second and final part of the "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" storyline by Neil Gaiman and Andy Kubert.

-I'm not sure that this particular comic book can be reviewed in a fashion that makes a lick of sense, this is one of those comics that has to be read to be understood. However, I will attempt a review nonetheless. This comic consists of Batman reliving several deaths that he could have died throughout the course of his career.

-A mess of faces from Bruce's past show up and tell a story of Batman dying in many different ways, from the spectacular to the bitterly ironic.

-Batman eventually gets to talk to his dead mother who tells him that his life is a never-ending cycle that begins with him enjoying his all-to-short childhood, becoming the Batman and eventually dying a heroes death. Bruce says goodbye to all the things in his life and wakes up reborn again as an infant, ready to play out his life once more.

This comic book was very clever. I have to admit that I enjoyed this issue a lot. I liked this comic so much that I think I'm going to dig out the first part of this storyline and give both parts another read-through. Neil hit all of the right notes here, and Andy's artwork was perfect for the story being told. There's not much more I can say here. For a score I'll give this comic a well deserved 10 out of 10. This comic grabbed my attention from the first page and never lost it. The best compliment I can give anything I read is to say that I couldn't wait to turn each page because I was dying to find out what was going to happen next.

No comments:

Post a Comment