Sunday, April 12, 2009

Dark Avengers #3

Overall- OK, I've avoided reading this comic for long enough... It's time to man-up as they say(whoever "they" are)and crack this comic book open... First off, allow me to thank the DREAD LORD BENDIS for descending from the lofty Mount Olympus and gracing us with this comic book. Thank you LORD BENDIS, destroyer of the history of the Marvel Universe. On a more serious note, I have to grudgingly admit that I actually enjoyed this comic book. Noh-Varr actually got to say some lines, and the story was(more or less)coherent. Here's the(very)quick review.

The Thunderbolts... Oops, did I type Thunderbolts! I meant the "Avengers" are engaging Morgana Le Fay in battle, but every time they kill her, she just returns from another point in the timestream, taking the place of her deceased self and beating a member of the "Avengers" before dying again. Since she can continually come back, Norman Osborn realizes that battling her is futile, so he grabs Dr. Doom, who Morgana was battling before the "Avengers" arrived and takes flight with him.

Doom tells Osborn that Morgana has locked up his armor mystically, and since he can't move, he can't cast a counter spell, to stop her... Wait, didn't I just read in Mighty Avengers #23 that a spellcaster needs to be able to SPEAK in order to cast their spells??? ANYWAY, Doom tells Osborn that the best way to stop Morgana is to travel back in time and attack her before she attacks Doom. After some cajoling(I've always wanted to use that word in a sentence!)Doom finally gives Osborn access to his armor's systems, so Osborn can use Doom's personal time traveling system. This comic ends with Osborn and Doom transporting themselves behind Morgana just prior to when she launches her initial attack against Doom back in Dark Avengers #1.

I apologize for my rather annoying sense of humor here, but nowadays, whenever I read a work by BENDIS, I have to make light of the situation, or I'll literally go insane! Like I said earlier, I liked this comic... Just typing that makes me feel dirty inside... The story was logical and had a nice flow to it. There. I said something nice about BENDIS. BUT(you knew there had to be a "but" coming!), I HATED the way BENDIS wrote Norman Osborn in this comic book! If you go back and read any of BENDIS' early Avengers work, you'll realize right away that BENDIS is writing Osborn EXACTLY the same way he writes Tony Stark! There is literally no difference in the two characters! Now, I've been pretty tough on Tony Stark on this blog, but I wouldn't say that Tony and Norman are anything alike! Tony may be an arrogant pain in the ass at times, but he isn't a cold-blooded murderer! If you've read this comic already, I'd implore you to read it over again with that fact in mind. Unless I'm going completely insane(which is a strong possibility), BENDIS writes Norman and Tony as completely inter-changeable characters, which kind of bothers me.

Other than that, I have no other complaints to voice. How crazy is that?!? Me, actually enjoying a BENDIS written comic book! Crazy! What's next, Marvel going a full year without another company-wide "mega-event"??? For a score, I'm going to give this issue a 9 out of 10... Wow, I just gave a Brian Michael Bendis written comic book a 9 out of 10! I feel kind weird... I think I should lay down or something...

No comments:

Post a Comment