Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Battle for the Cowl: Oracle: The Cure #1(of 3)

Overall- OOOOK... I'm not even going to pretend I understood what the hell just went on in this comic book! Instead, I'll review what I did understand(not much)and try to muddle through the rest.

Oracle has decided to move back to Gotham City from Platinum Flats. She moves onto an old building and does some rewiring in order to get herself some extra juice to run her computers. Babs meets with her father, Commissioner Gordon for dinner, but she is obviously VERY distracted, and the Commish finally decides to cut the dinner short, since Babs' mind is else where. Meanwhile, the Calculator is checking on his daughter, Wendy, the girl from the Teen Titans who was mauled near to death by that big dog(whose name is escaping me right now). Wendy was transfered from San Fran to Gotham and Calculator promises revenge, as all villains do. We also discover that both Babs and Calculator are trying to find any traces of the Anti-Life Equation that may still be floating around in cyberspace. That was about all I understood...

From there, Calculator has a a guy from a jewelry store cut some crystals into exact mathematical shapes. He is also adamant that the crystals are not to touch each other. One of the hackers Babs has looking for info on the Anti-Life Equation meets with Calculator in one of those online worlds and they share information about what they've discovered about the Equation. The online avatar of Calculator creates crystals in the online world with the info he gets from the hacker and has the hacker's avatar combine the crystals. Upon combining the crystals, the hacker screams and her head explodes, much to Babs' horror, since she has a webcam feed into the home of the hacker...

What the hell??? This comic started off well enough, and then it just went kind of crazy. I'm sorry, but I REALLY didn't understand literally half of this issue... The first half, I was totally down with. The second half though... Totally over my head! The Calculator can make people's heads explode via the Internet? Why? How does that help his comatose daughter? Why were both Calculator and Babs trying to rediscover the Anti-Life Equation? Didn't it cause enough trouble already? After reading this comic I thought MY head was going to explode! Well, I won't be too harsh yet, since this was only the first of three issues. The story may still come together and make sense... Hopefully. For a score, since I only understood half the comic, I'll go right down the middle and give his issue a 5 out of 10. Maybe after I read part 2, this will all make sense...

No comments:

Post a Comment