Sunday, May 5, 2013

All New X-Men #11

Hey comic fans, JT here with my second single review of the week, All New X-Men. Cyclops' team crashed the Jean Grey School's campus and offered an open invitation to anyone who wants to jump ship, and someone has. We already know who... as of last week, but if you don't read Uncanny X-Men, I guess you're about to find out.


All New X-Men #11

Summary: We kick things off with everyone getting upset that O5 Angel, Warren, has decided to join team Cyclops. Everyone tries to talk him out of it but he says Cyclops and his team are the only people making sense here. Jean, because she's been acting like a bitch since she discovered her new powers, tries to mind control Warren into going back into the school. She's quickly shut down by the Stepford sister, per Emma's orders, and taught a lesson about entering people's minds until Present Cyclops has her stand down, so Emma has the Stepford sister's stop. Warren takes his place next to Cyclops and his team and they all leave, leaving Wolverine and his students confused. We also see Mystique put a plan into action by posing as Pepper Potts and infiltrating his financial portfolio, then convincing someone working there that the X-Men are attacking the facility. Back at the Jean Grey School, Jean is comforted by Kitty Pryde, but told she needs to keep her emotions and powers in check, and that if she uses them to infiltrate someone's mind again, she will find a way to send her and the O5 back. Jean promises to use her powers for good and Kitty accepts her apology. From there, they decide to pursue Mystique, when suddenly Wolverine, Kitty, and the O5 (Minus Warren) are stopped in their tracks as the Quinjet is taken down. The issue ends with the team being told to surrender by none other than Captain America, Havok, Thor, Scarlet Witch, and Rogue, The Uncanny Avengers!

Thoughts: I don't understand why this issue came out after we already knew who was going to join Cyclops' team. It just seemed odd that It was built to be such a shocker when we've known for like two issues if you read Uncanny X-Men. I'm sure everyone doesn't... but yeah. That aside, I enjoyed this issue. I loved seeing Emma have the Cuckoos take Jean down a peg, it was a great moment for Emma and Jean needed it the way she was using her powers to make Warren do whatever she said. I also enjoyed Mystique's exploits, I don't know what her plan is, or if she just wanted Tony's money, but I'm enjoying her taking the main baddie role of this series. The ending with the Uncanny Avengers showing up was a surprise, but now it feels like the whole logic is put Team A in Book B, and repeat. I mean, we've seen the Avengers in Uncanny X-Men, The Avengers in All New X-Men, the Uncanny X-Men in All New X-Men, the Uncanny Avengers in All New X-Men, The Uncanny X-Men in Cable and the X-Men...it's getting old fast. That aside, I'm interested to see what Captain America and his team will say during the first five pages before they leave the next issue with no fight.

Score: 7.5/10

4 comments:

  1. I'm slowly starting to hate Jean more and more.

    Also, I don't know if it's just me, but I feel like everything's moving kinda slow. We're 11 issues in and the biggest thing to happen is Angel leaving. Which was kinda obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they are moving more towards something instead of focusing on just the original five. It seems that Bendis is starting to realize the newness is wearing off and he needs to move towards an arc.

    What I don't understand is the Uncanny Avengers attacking the X-men. Shield realized who was behind the past attacks quite quick so you would think they would Cap the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "That aside, I'm interested to see what Captain America and his team will say during the first five pages before they leave the next issue with no fight." -- FTW! You're totally right on the money with this whole rant. Though, I'm definitely intrigued to see what Alex thinks of his younger older brother.

    I loved the heart-to-heart between Jean and Kitty, but now we need not to see Jean for a while. Lesson learned. I'd really love a whole issue of Bobby and Bobby spending some time together. But, I will say, that I love that Bendis is quite purposefully getting the band back together here. Storm even has her mohawk! It's been a long time since the X-Men really felt like a team (maybe since the Outback years, if I'm being really honest), but Bendis seems to be making that happen and I'm all for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Astrovik, I couldnt agree more about Jean, I'm starting to loathe her, which is funny considering I've been pro-Emma since I started reading X-Men comics. And yeah, I think I even called Warren leaving the team in the last issue.

    Jermox, great point. If SHIELD was able to figure it out so quick, I find it weird the Uncanny Avengers weren't informed. You'd think they'd at least call Wolverine like "What the fuck, bro?" instead of taking them out of the sky.

    JW, That's the one saving grace for me dude, seeing Young Cyclops run into Havok, leading the Avengers basically. That's going to be interesting to see. Bobby is my least favorite of the O5 but he hasn't been given a nice issue or so to flesh out his character much so I'd be on board with that, since it seems five of the last 11 issues have featured Jean more than the other O5.

    ReplyDelete