Saturday, December 26, 2009

A Quick Look at Batgirl #5

Writer: Bryan Q. Miller. Pencils: Lee Garbett.

What I Thought: We begin this issue with a housing development in Devil's Square burning to the ground. The owner of the housing development, a man by the name of Stefano Garcia, as well as his son Francisco(who just happens to attend Gotham University), are standing by watching the building burn down. Inside the burning building, Batgirl(Stephanie Brown) is battling a villain who goes by the name of Diesel. Apparently, instead of blood, Diesel has gasoline in his body, which he is using to make the blaze worse. Steph and Diesel fight to a standstill, and eventually Batman and Robin arrive on the scene. Robin(Damien Wayne) immediately attacks Diesel, without realizing that Diesel was leaking gasoline all over the flaming room. In order to save Damien, Steph winds up freezing both Diesel and Damien, which leads to a heated argument between Batman and Oracle later on in the Batcave. The next day at Gotham University, Steph ends up overhearing an argument between Francisco and his girlfriend, in which Francisco's girlfriend makes reference to Francisco's father being involved in shady business. Steph decides to investigate, and winds up making a date with Francisco. This issue ends with a bunch of goons interrupting the date between Francisco and Steph, which leads to Francisco being abducted and Steph being shot in the head.

What I Thought: Hey, you know what? I REALLY liked this issue! As a matter of fact, after I was done reading this comic, I actually went back and checked the cover to see how much money it was, because it seemed like it should have been more than just $2.99. This comic really packed a lot of stuff into a regular sized issue. The opening fight, the stuff with Babs and Dick, all the stuff at school with Steph, even the conversation between Steph and Damien, this comic was chock-full of action, and I for one really appreciated that. Steph is rapidly becoming one of my favorite female heroes, and every month if I find myself enjoying this comic book more and more. It should go without saying that I'm eagerly awaiting the next issue!

Score: 9 out of 10.Wow, miracle of miracles, I even liked Damien in this comic!

7 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more!

    I'm also looking forward to the upcoming crossover with Red Robin, because the teamup between Tim and Steph should be pretty cool (and that means you will have to buy both titles to get the full story!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? This is the first I've heard of this x-over! Ugh... I've been shoehorned into buying an issue of Red Robin... As the Thing would say, "What a revoltin' development!"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This issue was awesome,I loved Damien's crack about what chest. I also liked him for only this issue. Btw I also haven't heard of this Batgirl Red Robin Crossover, may be reminiscent of the old Barbara and Dick days.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, so far it seems that everybody is in agreement when it comes to this comic! I have no problem with a Tim/Steph team-up(I actually like both characters), I just can't stand the thought of having to pick up Red Robin... Oh well, I guess there's nothing I can really do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait...Please tell me Yost isn't writing it...I may have to stay away because he may ruin my like of Steph in that one issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only hope Yost, AKA The Bane of my Existance, isn't writing it, but I fear he'll be writing the Red Robin portion of the x-over...

    ReplyDelete
  7. In that case I may just wait for you review before checking it out.

    ReplyDelete