Saturday, November 10, 2012

Deadpool #1

As sure as the sun sets in the west, Marvel is releasing another first issue of Deadpool...  Counting Cable/Deadpool, this is the fifth Deadpool series we've gotten(sixth if you want to count Agent X, which was kind of the spiritual successor of the first Deadpool ongoing).  If I'm being completely honest, I'm not exactly looking forward to this comic...  The first storyline sounds, well, pretty lame.  But here's hoping new writers Brian Posehn and Gerry Duggan prove me wrong and bring us a classic DP story.

Deadpool #1: 

Summary:  So some random necromancer has been running around resurrecting the deceased Presidents of the United States, hoping they could make the country more like the good ol' days.  Captain America ended up decapitating the ghost of Harry Truman, but that action drove the media into a frenzy, so SHIELD decided to use somebody of a lesser status to hunt down these rogue presidents, that somebody being Deadpool.  After defeating Franklin D Roosevelt in Manhattan, Pool is dispatched to Philadelphia, where many of the dead presidents had ended up.  Unfortunately for Pool, he is shot in the back of the head by Abraham Lincoln, and George Washington declares that the zombie presidents were going to tear the country apart and then start it all over again.

Thoughts:  Yep, this was about as bad as I was fearing...  I means seriously, Deadpool vs the former presidents?  Who the hell thought THAT was a good idea?!  Basically this comic was terrible.  It didn't have a good story, but it was also missing the humor that a Deadpool comic so desperately needs, especially for when the story is lacking.  Comedy IS subjective, so hopefully there are some people out there who did enjoy this series.  I just wasn't one of them.  I really don't have anything good to say about this comic, so I think I should end this review here.  Before signing off though, I will say that this series looks to be the first Marvel Now! casualty from my pull list...  I'll give this title one more issue and then wait for a new writer(s) to take over the book.

Score: 3 1/2 out of 10.
deadpool #1
So, I guess Deadpool's whole missing healing factor thing quietly fixed itself...

9 comments:

  1. Ehh, I pretty much agreed with this review, zombie presidents just aren't doing the trick.
    Hey X, what are you're favorite deadpool stories?
    Honestly, my favorites are the ones we're he teams up/goes against other mercs who find DP annoying but you can still see some sort of fraternity between them. Top Runners are the DP/Thunderbolts one and the DP vs. Bullseye as Hawkeye one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me it's easily any time Deadpool and Taskmaster are in the same comic. Those guys are gold together. Like you said, Bullseye works too. Bullseye, Taskmaster and Pool have a great chemistry between them. I could read any combination of those three all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, this issue was so bad I had to force myself to read it to the end. I would not mind MARVEL canceling that horror, and the ending certainly provides an easy out. Last I checked, Deadpool lost is healing factor. Art was good, though, and I just wish Moore was paired with Gillen on Iron Man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely disagree with this review- at the very least this book is a 7/10. I personally give it a 8/10. I take off two points for lack of character development.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, Daniel Way was the one who gave Deadpool back his healing factor- blame/credit where it's due.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh, you're the only person I've heard from to be high on this one, Doc. Glad you liked it. As for the healing factor thing, Way was slowly bringing Pool's healing factor back(as evidenced by the fact that Pool is even alive here!), but that doesn't explain why Pool has his old look. Eh, for the sake of Deadpool, I definitely hope more fans fell on your side of the fence than on mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most reviews have been positive- IGN, for instance, gave it a 8.1, and it was even well received by iFanboy.

      Delete
    2. Cool, good for Pool. Hopefully the sales are strong and he'll keep having a title for years to come. But for people at the blog, forum or comic shop I go to, you're the first guy to say good stuff about this one. Don't get me wrong, I want Pool to succeed, but until we get a writer change, I'm done with this series.

      Delete
    3. I can see how some might not like it, but I honestly think you're missing the forest for the trees.

      Take Mr. Necromancer for instance. Classic case of paving the road to hell with good intentions- in fact, the issue would have been better if they'd gone deeper into his background.

      In the end though, this was merely an introduction like Iron Man #1. I'd ask you to give this series one more issue, if only because I'm interested in your opinions whether I agree with them or not.

      Rather disappointed your review didn't go into greater detail.

      Delete