Thursday, November 8, 2012

Avengers Academy #39

Well, here's a post I never wanted to do...  I've been SO high on this series, pretty much since it began.  I was able to convince a few fellow comic fans(most notably JT, who ended up typing a fantastic post on why people should read this series) to pick this comic up.  I named the series my favorite series of 2011 AND I named the writer, Christos Gage, my favorite writer of 2011.  Simply put, this is my favorite ongoing comic book series.  And sadly, this is the final issue.  There's not much more I can say here.  I will say that it was a magnificent 39+ issues and that I'm sure, on some rainy day, I'll end up pulling this series out of one of my many boxes of comics to read again, and that makes me happy.  So, for the final time, let's check out the latest issue of Avengers Academy...

Avengers Academy #39(Final Issue):

Summary:  There's not really all that much to summarize here, as this issue wrapped up a lot of the stories going on in this series...  X-23 confronted Finesse about the death of Jeremy Briggs, and warned Finesse to stay away from her since they were no longer friends, while Mettle and Hazmat finally decided to take the next step in their relationship.  Striker also ended up getting into a relationship, as he went to the prom with a kid who was inspired by his inspirational video.  Reptil and White Tiger ended up getting kind of cozy, but were interrupted by Finesse, who ended up spending time with Quicksilver.  In the end, the kids were granted enhanced Avengers clearance, and were told that the Avengers no longer looked at them as the next potential Masters of Evil, but saw them truly as the next generation of Avengers...  Well, except for Veil, who had given up her powers.  But things even worked out for Veil, who was no longer the abused wallflower at school, but was a more confident young woman.

Thoughts:  Naturally my thoughts here were pretty bittersweet...  Yes, this was yet another good to great issue of this series, but it WAS the final issue.  From here, many of the characters from this series(although not my two favorites...) are heading into Avengers Arena.  I've already added Avengers Arena to my pull list, but seriously, how long can a comic series with THAT premise possibly last?  Even with the Avengers name on it...  Oh well.  In the end, kudos to Christos Gage for finishing this series off as wonderfully as he did.  As I said in the intro, I can guarantee you I'll be reading this series again, from the first issue to the last, and loving every second of it.  Again.

Score: 9 out of 10.
 avengers academy #39
I'll miss this series...

8 comments:

  1. This was, like you said, a bittersweet ending to an amazing series. Gage definitely wrote the hell out of this series and it shows that he really knows and cares for these characters. There's so many amazing moments I can remember from this series, whether it's the surprise I felt when I found out Striker was homosexual or the utter shock I was in as Emma deconstructed Juston's Sentinel, and the excitement of seeing the future versions of the A.A. kids. All in all this was the best possible way to end a excellent series, and I'm thankful to Gage, Slott (who Gage named as a big help), the rest of the ever rotating Creative Team, and Marvel Comics for this great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed times 100%. I'll miss this series so much because it really was my favorite ongoing comic book... Here's hoping we see Finesse and Striker(my favs) down the road. And hey, we can always reread this series and do some posts for that! That could be our ever elusive collaborative post! :P

      Delete
    2. I'd be fine with that, I'd also be fine if Finesse turned heel in the future, like Mettle said, with a boob window and some Stiletto's. Lol, I love Mettle.

      Delete
    3. The boob window comment made me laugh so hard. That's what happens when you go heel, you turn trashy. But yeah, that comment ruled. Idk if I'd want to see Finesse actually go heel though. I'd prefer her as a Black Widow type of Avenger, one who would do what needs to be done, even if the Captain Americas and Hawkeyes of the world don't approve.

      Delete
    4. Yep, We call that "pulling an Emma Frost". And yeah, I could definitely see her in that role as well, and while I wouldn't mind her as a heel, it almost seems to obvious to go that route, considering the whole gimmick of this series was that, plus her dad being Taskmaster.

      Delete
  2. Taskmaster really isn't a "heel" heel though. He's flirted with anti-hero territory a couple of times.

    I wouldn't mind seeing a teamup book with him and Finesse, exploring her past and his. They'd make a pretty good comic duo too. And Finesse's reaction if he ever made her work with Deadpool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's true, but you know how often they do the "my parent isn't a hero so I must be a villain" storyline in comics, namely with Raven and Jericho. And I'd pay big money for a comic with Taskmaster, Finesse and Deadpool.

      Delete
    2. I'd pay big money for a Taskmaster series period!

      Delete