Friday, November 9, 2012

AVX Consequences #5

Hey guys, JT here with the finale of AVX Consequences. We last ended thing with Cyclops telling Magneto, via some metal shavings that he was ready to be broken out of prison, let's see how things work out for Scott Summers.

AVX Consequences #5

Summary: We start things off with Magneto preparing to break Scott out of Prison, with his cohorts, Magik and Danger. The trio takes off to head to the prison and we jump over to see Captain America, Wolverine, Captain Marvel and a few more Avengers approach hope, as she's sleeping in an alley for some reason. They tell her she needs to head home as people are worried about her while she's out looking for Cable, and that they can help because they have equipment at their disposal that she doesn't. The reunion is cut short when the Avengers find out there's been a prison break. We go back twenty minutes and see Magneto, Danger and Magick breaking into the prison and freeing Cyclops from his power-dampening headgear. Before they leave, Scott wants to go "say his goodbyes", and he goes after the guys that attacked his former mutant pal. He breaks them free and has them put into a portal made by Magik, where something with Tentacles grabs them and pulls them below. Next, Cyclops walks over to the Organizer and tells him he was going to run a business that profited from Mutants, and that they plan on flattening his prison and everyone will escape, so it costs him a TON of money, and Cyclops tells him this is what happens when you try to profit from mutant prejudice. He also leaves Danger to leave a lasting impression on the Prison Organizer, in the form of a giant X cut onto his face, as Cyclops, Magik and Magneto leave via portal. Back in the present, A few of the Avengers show up at the prison, and Wolverine finds a note from Cyclops, saying he knows Wolverine is upset, but with Wolverine being the better man, he doesn't have to be, he can be the man that does what's necessary. Wolverine balls the note up and tells Captain America that Scott has indeed escaped from the prison. We also see Hope arriving home and she finds Cable waiting outside of her window, saying it's his job to watch after her, not the other way around, and he's always watching, as Hope replies "Thanks Dad." The issue comes to a close with Magneto, Magik and Cyclops suiting up, as Magneto says things are different now, with Cyclops responding that their still hated, feared and saving the world, nothing's changed at all.


Thoughts: This issue was pretty quick, but it did serve to establish that Scott is a villain now. He's not The Joker or Green Goblin but he is a Luthor-esque villain that believes he's doing the right thing, even though he's going about it the wrong way, which is fine for Scott. I'm excited to see this new dynamic for the character, and this issue really cemented him in that role for now. I didn't care much about the Hope and Cable stuff, and that really just took away from the character development with Scott, I would've preferred a bit more for Magik as well. But with Danger leaving the team after breaking out Scott, I am curious to see who else joins the "X-Tinction" team, and if Emma will side with Scott after the Phoenix Force betrayal. All in all this was a solid issue to a Mini-Series I really enjoyed, even more than AVX.

Score: 7/10

Magneto: This isn't like how it was before.

Cyclops: You're wrong. Hated. Feared. And saving the world. Tell me what's changed.

9 comments:

  1. Interesting developments here. I wish the "X-Force" name wasn't taken, because this "new" team here would fit that MO to a tee. I also wish anyone other than Bendis was writing the book for this team.

    Still, there is a lot of potential here for great stories (when Magneto is involved, how can there not be?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS: It was my impression nothing happened in this series until the last two issues, do you agree? I ask because I only plan on buying issues 4 and 5, unless I can be convinced otherwise. Thanks!

      Delete
    2. Hm... I don't wanna say you need the first three and make you spend extra money, then you don't like them or something, but there were some great conversations with Wolverine and Cyclops in the first few issues, mainly One and Three if I recall correctly, as well as some stuff with Storm/Panther and a few other interesting character developments. If you're interested in those, I'd say get all five, if you just want the basic fallout stuff, you'll be fine with four and five.

      Delete
  2. Totally agree. In fact, I actually found myself liking this Scott. He made a lot more sense than the Scott who was all, "OMG, you guys, the Phoenix is going to solve ALL OUR PROBLEMS, because it NEVER causes MORE problems than it solves!" Although it might have been nice to see him acknowledge that he was acting a LITTLE crazy, I'm OK with this Scott at least believing in Xavier's dream again, even if he feels like his mission is now different. I agree, TRobb, that this team has X-Force written all over it. But, I'm actually excited about "All-New X-Men" now, even if it is written by Bendis! (I mean, maybe. You know. More or less, really.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally read this series(I read all 5 issues last night), and I have to agree with everything said here. I like the idea of Scott playing the Magneto role. He makes an interesting villain, especially since he doesn't really see himself as a villain, he seems to see himself as a guy who is doing what has to be done. And yeah, Bendis or no, I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with Scott and his anti-X-Men team. Hell, I'd actually buy a series starring Scott and Mags!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well lucky you, Bendis is writing the new Uncanny X-Men series, I believe starting in Feb. and it focuses on Scott, Mags, Magick and I believe Emma, although she and Scott are no longer dating now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Huh. I TOTALLY misunderstood that post at the forum! I thought they were showing up in the X-Men book coming out this week(I think). Good ol' X, misunderstanding what he read. I blame you.

      Delete
    2. That's what happens when you don't read. Definitely looking forward to Uncanny X-Men as well as All New X-Men, which has the potential to be awesome, with the past X-Men seeing the future and how crazy Scott becomes, plus Jean can see him now.

      Delete
    3. Well I DID read it, I just, you know, read it wrong... So yeah... And I STILL blame you for that! :P

      Delete