Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega #5

One more review this week, and it's probably the comic I least wanted to pick up from the comic shop last Wednesday... And yet it wasn't my Runt of the Litter... Go figure. Anyway, if not for the fact that I had picked up the other four issues of this mini-series(and since I'm a compulsive collector I'm pretty much obligated to finish the series), there's no way I'd buy this one. So with that rousing endorsement, let's get to the review!

Wolverine and the X-Men: Alpha & Omega #5(of 5):

Summary: Quintin Quire's attempt at shutting down the VR world he created(and subsequently got himself, Wolverine and Armor trapped in) by pushing the off button winds up failing. Now totally desperate and running out of ideas, Quintin tells Wolvie to kill him, figuring that if he died in the VR world, it would shut down and free everybody... Of course, Quintin has no clue as to what doing this would do to his mind/body in the real world... Naturally, Wolvie complies and drives his claws through Quintin, which does indeed free the three from the VR world. Quintin ends up waking up fine, and begins to pack his stuff, figuring for sure this would get him expelled and sent to prison by Wolvie. Instead, Wolvie tells Quintin his punishment would be to help Wolvie build up stronger mental defenses, which Quintin smugly agrees to.

Thoughts: Yeah, sure. Let the guy who screwed with your head to begin with train you to have stronger mental defenses, because there's NO way he'd know how to circumvent said defenses... Poor, stupid Wolvie... Anyway, this issue wasn't terrible, which is the best thing I can say about it. I didn't care enough about the story to care how it ended, especially since we knew that there would be no real ramifications coming out of it, what with Quintin being a major part of Wolvie and the X-Men and Wolvie being Wolvie and all. In the end, this issue better than I ever expected it to be, so I'd consider that a win, although it doesn't save this mini from being one of the worst ones I've read so far this year.

Score: 6 out of 10.
wolverine and the x-men alpha and omega #5
Snikt!

4 comments:

  1. hey will you be getting the X-men Legacy Tie in issues to Avx one comes out today so i was just curious, Rouge vs She Hulk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's a regular on my pull list. I'll be reading that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Half the art in this mini was terrific (the construct/fake reality portion). This entire story, like you said, was a waste of time. If anything, this should have been a single-issue annual, or a fill-in between bigger arcs. I knew this was one my wallet should steer clear of (but that doesn't stop me from reading in-store and returning the crap to the racks).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! This would have made an excellent annual actually... I'm sure they could have managed to lop off most of the stuff from this mini to fit it in an annual and still manage to get the ending to work out. And totally agree about the artwork. I loved the look of the VR world. The real world? Not so much...

    ReplyDelete