Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Voodoo #8

One more day until New Comic Day! That is actually a mixed blessing, as it means tomorrow I get a whole new crop of (hopefully) great books, but tonight I'm stuck with the bottom of my comic book barrel... Well, the best way to get through tonight is to blitz through these books, so let's do just that!

Voodoo #8:

Summary: Some members of the Blackhawks report back to their base that Black Jack had been killed by EVIL Voodoo, which causes the leader of the Blackhawks to send out a mess of Blackhawks/Black Razors to take EVIL Voodoo down. Meanwhile, EVIL Voodoo also manages to kill Agent Fallon, which leads to GOOD Voodoo attacking her EVIL counterpart. EVIL Voodoo takes on the exact look of GOOD Voodoo(to mess with her head) and the two are locked in combat when the Blackhawks/Black Razors arrive. Not knowing which Voodoo was good and which was evil, they move in to apprehend them both, at which time EVIL Voodoo attacks and kills some Razors before making good her escape. As for GOOD Voodoo, the leader of the Blackhawks walks over and offers her a job.

Thoughts: Meh. This is a series that is in desperate need of some fixing... GOOD Voodoo STILL hasn't been called Voodoo by ANYBODY, while EVIL Voodoo is called Voodoo by EVERYBODY... Which means this series is about EVIL Voodoo since the title is “Voodoo”? I guess? That just makes no sense... EVIL Voodoo needs a name change, and GOOD Voodoo needs to claim the Voodoo name as her own, although I don't see how/why she would do that... What an odd mess this all is...

Score: 6 out of 10.
voodoo #8
That's gonna leave a HELL of a mark!

4 comments:

  1. This writer is clearly killing everything Ron Marz brought to the series, Fallon was one of the main character for him...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. I couldn't agree more, Alien. This is a series that I was mainly picking up for my sister, and even she seems to be getting tired of it, so chances are I'll be dumping it pretty soon... That's too bad because it started off pretty well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. "This writer is clearly killing everything Ron Marz brought to the series"

    Sadly it's because of this, I dropped this series. So X, dumping this would be best. The fact that Voodoo we came to know and become attached too was a clone really made me turn the other way on this series. Ron Marz needs to come back to save this series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, I agree with everything you said there, Lisha. The clone reveal REALLY hurt my enjoyment of this series, and quite frankly, it hasn't gotten any better since then... It's probably gotten worse. I feel bad for Marz because from the sound of things he really didn't want to leave. Here's his statement after he was told he was leaving a few months back...

    "The only thing I was told was that they wanted a different direction for the book. I had a 10-minute phone call with the outgoing editor, who gave me the news. I asked what direction they wanted, but since the editor was leaving staff the next day, he didn't really know. So that's all the information I was given. I haven't heard from anyone else, beyond a call from the book's new editor to work out details on my last issue.

    "I have to admit, I was pretty surprised, since I'd been making the revisions and changes that had been requested by editorial as the book evolved. But it seems like they want something other than what I was giving them. Obviously I'm disappointed that I won't get to continue the story we began telling, and I'll certainly miss working with the art team of Sami Basri and Jessica Kholinne, who are doing amazing work on the series. I wish them and the new writer much success as Voodoo moves forward. I still feel like the New 52 was a very bold and positive move for DC, and for the industry as a whole, and I'm glad to have been a part of it."

    So apparently the new direction was to make Voodoo a clone... Yeah, brilliant idea, that... :/

    ReplyDelete