Saturday, February 18, 2012

Weekly Comic News for Feb. 18th!

It's that time once again, for your favorite weekly review of comic book news, brought to you by your favorite blogger not named X-Man. This unfortunately has been a pretty slow news week but I'll give you guys the few news stories I did come by. So let's get down to business and see what news we found out over the last week.


Ravagers Roll Call

Last week I posted the picture above and asked you all to speculate on who you think the team members are. Well guess no longer, in an interview with Howard Mackie, it was confirmed the Ravagers squad will consist of Caitlin Fairchild, Beast Boy (Boooo), Terra, Thunder, Lightning, and a newcomer by the name of Ridge. We also find out some info on the upcoming crossover between Teen Titans, Superboy, and Legion Lost, known as "The Culling". We also learn that Beast Boy's change in color is due to Animal Man. Here I thought I was just so annoyed by him that I was seeing red. (Source)


DC has Doomed Mark Waid

News recently broke on Twitter that Mark Waid, writer of the Justice League "Tower of Babel" storyline had been snubbed by DC Comics. After voice-over actor Phil Lamarr (Green Lantern on JLA/JLU and Static Shock on his animated series) remarked how he wish he could have been involved in the recording of the upcoming Justice League animated move "Doom", based on Mark Waids' Tower of Babel storyline, adapted by Dwayne McDuffie, Mark Waid commented that he'd been left out as well, as he wasn't even invited to the premiere of the film. When Lamarr replied that he was shocked, Waid responded by saying "Dude, I’ll be lucky if they send me a comp DVD." Some may know that Waid has been very vocal about his displeasure with DC Comics as well as J.M. Straczynski, as well as Mark Waid being hired and fired from writing for his favorite character, Superman, over the course of a few days due to alleged office politics.


Venom vs. The Savage Six?

(The following news story includes spoilers.)
Just when I thought I couldn't enjoy Venom anymore, word has spread via the talented Rick Remender, that Venom is about to get his own Rogue's Gallery, in an upcoming five-issue story arc, we'll see Venom take on the Savage Six. The Savage Six will consist of The Crime Master, Jack'O Lantern, The Human Fly, and more, including Toxin! Also, Eddie Brock will join the cast, and apparently starts hunting to eradicate the symbiotes, and we'll also see Brock don yet another symbiote?! (read more here)

The Walking Dead are coming

To a game console near you. That's right, this week we got a few peeks at the upcoming Telltale Games Walking Dead video game. It's going to be a point and click style Horror Adventure game, so take that for what it's worth. I'm a big fan of The Walking Dead show and comic series, and I really enjoyed the Back To The Future games that were produced by Telltale Games, but I can't say I'm too interested in this personally. I'll play the demo when it's released and take it from there but this art style doesn't really get me too excited for the game. There's a picture below for those interested and more info on the game here.


Judd Winick is WINNING!

Forgive me for the outdated Charlie Sheen reference but coming up with these titles is a lot harder than you'd think. Anywho, Judd Winick, a personal favorite writer of mine that re-established Jason Todd in the DC Universe is writing not one, not two but three stories for the upcoming Bat-Family story, "Night of The Owls". Judd will bring his feline femme fatale Catwoman, the African-Batman known as Batwing, and he'll temporarily take over Batman: The Dark Knight #9 for a tie-in starring Red Robin. To say I'm excited for that is an understatement. To read more and see what Winick has to say about these three stories crossing over for the Night of Owls storyline, click here.


Nightwing 1, Marvel 0

Anyone that has picked up the most recent issue of Nightwing may notice that the former Dark Knight is laying the smack down on a bunch of thugs on this month's cover. More eagle-eyed readers may notice that Nightwing is actually beating up thugs that represent the Marvel Universe. One thug has the Punisher Logo on his jacket, another has Cap's star on his back, and the third has a Spider-Man logo tattooed on his arm. So it seems someone taking shots at Marvel comics, and it wouldn't be the first time. (Cover)


Cartoon Network gets New Teen Titans

That's right, fans of the former Cartoon Network Teen Titans show may be delighted to see we'll be getting the original voice cast back with a new Teen Titans short cartoon that will be shown in between episodes of Young Justice and the Green Lantern animated series. This new mini-series (no pun intended) will be called "New Teen Titans" and will also feature guest stars including Plastic Man, The Doom Patrol and Lego Batman. Yes, you read that right, Lego Batman. See more info as well as a trailer by clicking here.


And that's it for this week everyone, as I said, this wasn't the best week for comicbook news, but hey, I tried! As always feel free to comment and post any news I missed, and until next time this is Jason Todd, signing off.

12 comments:

  1. You also forgot the guy who's wearing Ghostrider's jacket on the cover of Nightwing #6! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh-heh... DC came across looking pretty bush-league with this week's comic news post, what with Beast Boy(just Beast Boy on his own makes DC look bad...), that Nightwing cover and the Mark Waid story. On the plus side, Winick actually getting a bit more work with DC IS a good thing. They should seriously consider just making him the regular DK writer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, good point Astrovik. How did I miss that?! :P

    X, I completely agree, the Nightwing thing and the stuff with Waid just seemed petty and odd... but I'm all for more Judd. Shit, let him take over Teen Titans and the Outlaws while he's at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Shit, let him take over Teen Titans and the Outlaws while he's at it." Yes please. Granted, Teen Titans has picked up a bit lately, but can you imagine the awesome Winick would bring to TT and Red Hood?! If nothing else I'd bet Winick would get us away from that damned All-Caste stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still say bring in Grace Choi for the Outlaws, and Wally West, and make them like the Outsiders. And I agree, TT hasn't been bad but I have WAY more faith in Judd than Lobdell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely not picking up Ravagers now, I would have considered it if there was better members.
    I love the Walking Dead universe so I'm willing to give the game a try, although I tend to find the majority of games made from a series very downplayed to be more 'suitable', unfortunately I don't think this game will be any different.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Exactly, that isn't the best put together team, especially when people like Wally West and such could've been utilized, plus the last thing I need is more Terra and Beast Boy.

    Yeah, I'll try the demo but my expectations are low. But I did enjoy their back to the future games so who knows...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh god... I forgot about the endless Beast Boy/Terra love storyline... That right there has me edging strongly against buying this series now. So kudos for that, JT! :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well awesome week of comic news.

    I despise beast boy and changing his color up will not change that lol. And the fact that Animal Man had something to do with it irks my nerves. I hope I dont have to see Beast Boy in one of my favorite reboots.

    JT, you know how I am about zombie games.......but I love Walking Dead, I'm willing to give this a try. So I cannot wait for the demo to drop.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad I could help even more X. God that storyline is old news.

    Thanks Lisha, and yeah I'm sure he's gonna pop up in animal man now. Probably ties into The Red they're always mentioning since he's red... Glad you're interested in walking dead, that way if you buy it I can play it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does anybody know about Cullen Bunn's writing? I'm starting to get annoyed with what's going on with Venom. First we have this .1-.4 nonsense with the current storyline (written by Rob Williams), now Remender has gotten this Bunn guy to "co-write" an arc. I won't complain if Bunn does good work, but I buy Venom to read Remender, dammit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Huh, I did not know that, TRobb... I don't really know much about Bunn myself. He seems to be rather new to Marvel, but they seem pretty high on him. He's one of the three writers behind Fear Itself: The Fearless and a few other little things here and there, but I can't say he's had a run on any series I've read.

    ReplyDelete