Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Batman #6

The final review for tonight? Hows about the comic that was ALMOST my Pick of the Litter this week, Scott Snyder's Batman. After the last issue, I'm extremely intrigued to see what Snyder has up his sleeve for this issue...

Batman #6:

Summary: Having stabbed Batman last issue, Talon asks the Court of Owls what should be done with Bats, and the Court declares that Bats should be beaten some more. With that, Talon beats the ever-loving hell out of Bats, at which time the Court members come over to the fallen Batman to... um, take his bones? Bats says hell no to that noise and attacks Talon, pummeling him and leaving him beaten and broken. With that taken care of, Bats warns the Owls that they were now on his radar before blowing a hole in the ground and falling into the river below. The Court of Owls arrive at the site of Batman's escape and decide to dispose of Talon since he had failed them so spectacularly. They also decide to activate the other Talons, as we learn that they had a small army of Talons. As for Batman, he's too weak to get out of the river, and presumably drowns.

Thoughts: Um, what the hell just happened here? Seriously, I wasn't sure what was real and what wasn't in this issue... The first Court of Owls had to be fake since they, you know, literally looked like owls. I have no idea why Batman suddenly looked like a demon, especially since it was Batman who had been drugged... I guess he saw himself as a giant demonic bat? For some reason? I don't know... For as much as I liked the originality of the last issue, I disliked the insanity of this one.

Score: 6 out of 10.
batman #6
So Batman is some kind of demonic animal now? Huh.

10 comments:

  1. Oh. I'm kind of disappointed now. After last issue I was expecting something great from Snyder with this one but he hasn't delivered. I know Batman is meant to have great mental strength and be really stubborn but after he was broken so much last issue, him suddenly retaliating and escaping quite easily just doesn't make sense, it should have been a lot harder, if possible at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that's what bummed me out a bit with this issue... I mean last issue Bats was TOTALLY broken mentally, and was stabbed in the back to boot! This issue, he just sort of snapped back to reality, beat up Talon and left. With how great the Owls had been built up, it was kind of a letdown to see Bats escape in such a simple way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more guys, Bats escape was way too easy and too convenient. If anything it should have been written they let him escape so the entire Bat family could be taken down at once as a whole or simply so they could make Bruce seem crazy instead of him Hulking out and destroying Talon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, I was really interested to see what you thought about this issue, JT... I mean I KNOW I've been pretty down on most of the comics I've been reading as of late while you've been a bit more positive, so I was definitely interested in seeing what you thought of this issue. I was just expecting so much better here... Especially after the past few issues. There's a nagging little voice in my head that's wondering if Snyder had to alter his original plans for this storyline in order to set up the Owls event coming up...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could see that, but still, that would easily for for the take the Batfamily down as one thing I pitched, as opposed to Bruce seeing a picture of his great grandfather or whatever and just becoming a hulk of a man after being tortured, drugged and stalked for days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agreed, mi amigo. I actually like the idea of Bats REMAINING the captive of the Owls and the rest of the Bat-family banding together to find/rescue him. Sure, it would have made Bats look kind of weak, but it also would have given the full Bat-clan a reason to band together... To find Bruce. There were actually a lot of ways this could have went. Sadly it seems Snyder went with the worst one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have loved that, the big team up with Nightwing, Red Hood, Red Robin, Batgirl and Robin. I'm very interested in what the history between Babs and Jason is. Also I read in an interview with Lobdell that Jason is going to meet with Tim in Outlaws during the Owls event so that they should be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Exactly, to find/save Bruce, while, at the same time Bruce is still trying to escape from/take down the Owls from the inside.

    As it is I'm not sure how the Owl event will bring all of the Bat-characters together, especially with Bruce free... Maybe he puts out a call? Maybe the Owls go after all Bat-based characters?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They probably felt like a "Bruce is missing, let's all find him" event was a little to repetitive since Batman RIP and Final Crisis wasn't that long ago. This wasn't the best issue, but I didn't dislike it either. Of course Bruce was going to win. He's Batman. Batman wins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hear you with the "Bruce is missing... AGAIN!” thing, although since that never happened(or maybe it did? The reboot still leaves me so confused as to what did and didn't go down...), they COULD probably get away with doing it here. As for the Batman wins thing, agreed, that's a given and all, it was just HOW he won. He'd been tortured for a full issue(s), and then here he just sort of shrugged everything off, beat up Talon, who was WAAAAAY fresher than he was, and left. I'd have preferred to have seen Bruce outsmart Talon as opposed to flat out beating him up, especially in the condition he was in. That's my take on it at least.

    ReplyDelete