Thursday, June 10, 2010

Green Lantern #54

Green Lantern #54: Writer: Geoff Johns. Pencils: Doug Mahnke.
Last Issue: 8 out of 10.

Review: This issue begins with Atrocitus and one of his Red Lanterns searching around the subways of New York in search of... well, I can't say what just yet... Meanwhile, Hal, Carol Ferris and Sinestro are still fooling around with the White Lantern they had discovered in New Mexico. Sinestro couldn't lift it, and neither could Hal or Carol. Eventually they all try to lift it at once, and it begins to show them cryptic images of all of the characters Geoff Johns deemed deserved a second chance during Blackest Night. The White Lantern then shows the trio images of all of the entities that make up the Color Corps. Speaking of which, the strange little shackled figure from last issue arrives in the sun of Daxam and finds Sodam Yat. The cloaked figure yanks Ion out of Sodam and returns him to Daxam, giving him a second chance at life. After taking Ion, the mysterious figure heads back to its base and chains Ion up next to Parallax. Meanwhile, Hal, Carol and Sinestro are transported to New York, and are told by the White Lantern that Atrocitus would help them. Meanwhile, Atrocitus is making a map in the blood of some criminals he killed trying to deduct where the entities were hiding on Earth. Hal and company find Atrocitus, and naturally have a misunderstanding, which leads to fisticuffs. After some pointless fighting, Lobo(!?)arrives on the scene and prepares to pulverize Hal.

What I Thought: First off, I have a new rule to announce. Seeing as that I am completely and thoroughly disgusted with Geoff Johns and his blatant favoritism for HIS characters, I'll be knocking at least a 1/2 of a score off of every Johns written comic. How can I do this? Because this is my blog, and anything goes! BWA-HAHAHAHAH!!! Okay, with that out of the way, this comic had some good, and some bad. The bad was the fact that Johns totally lifted a few scenes from Brightest Day #0(or maybe #1, I can't be bothered to check), thus filling some of this comic with stuff I'd already read. Plus as I've said before, I'm sick and tired of Johns' annoying Brightest Day story as it is, so the parts of this comic with the White Lantern and Hal and company did little more then annoy me. On the positive side, the stuff with Atrocitus was great(as usual), and the inclusion of Lobo at the end was long overdue. I'd have preferred it if Lobo had popped up in REBELS, but I guess I'll settle for seeing him here... Then again, Johns will probably have Barry Allen kill off Lobo next issue...

Score: 8 out of 10.So as I read through this issue, I kept wondering, where's SAINT Barry!?!

13 comments:

  1. I was pleasantly surprised and lobo's appearance, I don't know whats coming from it but I like it, as long as he's not rolling with those big dolphins! Lol anyway, I enjoyed this issue, and your Geoff Johns Deduction policy made me laugh, I see The Flash series taking a hit :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I've been waiting for Lobo to pop up in REBELS for the longest time now, but he never did... He'd be a perfect fit there, especially because of his history with many of the characters in that book. I'm sure GEOFF will make Lobo look like a complete bitch next issue, because let's face it, Lobo's NOT from the Silver Age!!!

    Hey, at least I was honest with my anti-GEOFF policy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lmao @ making Loo look like a complete bitch. Or should we say Bastich? :P I love how Geoff was your savior now he's like... your Yost all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah man, not that long ago GEOFF was the Comic Book GOD, now he's some annoying guy who's crapping all over everything that isn't his precious Silver Age DCU. I mean the way he's just rewriting DC history for the benefit of the characters he likes is just plain shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH! That reminds me, remember we were talking about that Black Aqualad? Not to spoil anything but DC thought ahead for once, that black dude is the NEW Aqualad, we're being introduced to him in Brightest Day 4 apparently, I read it today (in an article at DCU) so yeah, they were ahead of the curve for once.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, I'm not sure how I feel about that... If they hadn't killed off Garth, I'd prob be fully down with that, but now it just looks like they killed off the last Aqualad(even though Garth hadn't been Aqualad for YEARS)to make way for the new one. Like Ted and Hai-me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some other people were saying that too, I can see where the come from and I liked Garth, especially when it seemed like he was gonna take over as Aquaman before Blackest Night with his chat with Dick but hell, I'm not gonna complain about another minority hero after we discussed how few there are now a days not too long ago. Hopefully he isn't as annoying as Hai-Me.

    And I gotta disagree, at least Ted's death was important, Garth's just happened... for no reason

    ReplyDelete
  8. Was Ted's death REALLY important though? That's actually an interesting question. When he was investigating Max nobody believed him, and his death only came to light down the road. Hell, with the exception of a recent issue of Booster Gold(where it was a flashback)I can't even remember Ted getting a real funeral. Only Booster seemed dismayed by Ted's death, and everybody saw Booster as a goof, so nobody really cared... Until Max launched his OMAC project in earnest, and people realized that Ted was right. But I've gotta ask, what did Ted's death actually lead to? It's not like Max tossed his corpse on the steps of the Hall of Justice or anything. He killed Ted, cremated him and that was that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. True but one could argue Ted's death opened everyone's eyes which led to the whole OMAC war, as well as Wonder Woman killing Lord, although that was pushed by him controlling Supes but still. I can see your point, Booster is the only one really affected, and ironically the only of the Super Buddies that's not dead...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did Ted even get a warning out before he died in that comic after he learned it was Max behind everything? I can't recall if he did or not... If he didn't then yeah, his death REALLY didn't accomplish anything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol I honestly don't remember.... maybe you should reread it and tell us since I read it, Via a library :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha, so it was a library read for you? Well, I'll try to remember to pull it out tomorrow and flip through it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Much obliged buddy ol pal, and yeah a lot of stuff I read at the library first like Identity Crisis, Civil War, that, Hush (which I then bought)

    ReplyDelete