Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Picto-Review: Shadowland: Daughters of the Shadow #1

Shadowland: Daughters of the Shadow #1(of 3): Writer: Jason Henderson. Artist: Ivan Rodriguez.

This issue begins in earnest with Colleen Wing waking up to discover the the Hand had been sneaking around her apartment leaving her cryptic messages in her bathroom... Creepy...


Curiosity gets the better of Colleen and she decides to head to Shadowland to see what Daredevil wanted, as well as learn what he knew about her mother. Before she manages to get to DD's castle, Colleen bumps into her best friend, Misty Knight. Misty tries to convince Colleen not to take DD's bait, which leads to Colleen telling Misty to mind her own business.


Colleen is discovered trying to sneak into the Shadowland compound and is attacked by several Hand ninjas. Ultimately White Tiger arrives on the scene, halts the fighting and invites Colleen inside.


White Tiger takes Colleen to DD, and DD reveals that Colleen's mother had worked for the Hand as a member of the ultra secretive Nail. The Nail was comprised of five females who would serve as assassins for the Hand. It was as a member of the Nail that Colleen's mother met her fate.


After dropping this bombshell on Colleen, DD then asks her to lead the version of the Nail he was putting together, which gives us our cliffhanger ending.

What I Thought: As with Shadowland: Power Man, I wasn't expecting much from this mini. Hmm, let me rephrase that a bit... I wasn't expecting ANYTHING from this comic! Once I heard it was going to star Colleen Wing, I was pretty disappointed. Colleen is just one boring character who had never appealed to me in the least. So going in I really wasn't expecting much. But surprise, surprise, this was a pretty good comic! The story really pulled me in. The interaction between Colleen and Misty, as well as DD's revelation about Colleen's mother actually made Colleen seem kind of interesting to me, which is something I NEVER expected to happen! When you go into a comic expecting nothing and come out looking forward to the next issue, you know the creative team did a brilliant job.

Score: 8 out of 10.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh nice score. I was a little iffy about picking up this issue, but I'm loving the Shadowland stuff. So I'm glad you gave it a pretty good score.

    Now all I have to do is sit still long enough to read it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you'll get to it eventually Falisha! Nobody is worse then me when it comes to putting off reading comics! That's why my room looks like a comic book store exploded in it!

    I can't say enought good things about Shadowland! Pretty much every thing about it has been awesome, even the minis!

    ReplyDelete