Sunday, August 22, 2010

Picto-Review: Brightest Day #8

Brightest Day #8(of 180,571,092): Writer: GEOFF Johns & Peter Tomasi. Artists: Too many to list!


We kick the latest issue of the Brightest Day saga(yes, it is now officially a saga)off with the White Lantern ring being its regular annoying self. And of course the ring gives us its obligatory cryptic answers. Man do I hate that ring!


The Martian Manhunter discovers that there is another green Martian alive, but you could probably figure that out from the picture!


Hawkman gathers an army on Hawkworld to save Hawkgirl... Hawkman, Hawkworld, Hawkgirl???


While Hawkman and his army hunt for Hawkgirl, Hawkgirl winds up being beaten up by her rather creepy looking mother.


And we close things out this issue with the Martian Manhunter heading towards the mysterious Star City forest, which is where he had managed to track the other green Martian.

What I Thought: Meh. I think my buddy JT summed this series up the best when he described it as Russian Roulette... Some issues are better then others, some storylines are better then others and for me when I pulled the trigger with this issue I ate a bullet. I really don't like the Hawkman/Hawkgirl/Hawkworld/Hawkvillians/Hawkmother storyline at all. I like Hawkman, I like Hawkgirl(at least the pre-Blackest Night Hawkgirl), but the Hawkworld stuff lost me several issues back. I feel the same way about the Martian Manhunter storyline. I've never really been much of a J'onn fan(he's alright I guess...)and this story just never managed to grab my attention. So there's another green Martian... Since I don't really care about J'onn, I can't say I care about that revelation. So yeah, take the two Brightest Day stories that I care the least about and throw 'em in a comic and you've got this issue. If you're a Hawkworld or Martian Manhunter fan then you're in luck. If not, then this is an easily skippable issue.

Score: 3 1/2 out of 10.

3 comments:

  1. I loved that line about Hawkman/Hawkgirl/Hawlworld/Hawkmother because that's all it is basically. I'm in the same boat as you as well, I like J'onn but I've never really cared much for his stories, I just liked him from the JLA Cartoon more than anything, so his story and the Hawk story are pretty boring. I want more Deadman/Dove, Firestorm, and Aquaman/Black Manta/Mera/New Aqualad stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, once again I'm late as ever. But I finally got a chance to read this and well, I pretty much hated it. I completely skipped over the Hawkman/Hawkgirl crap, I enjoyed the art that's about it.

    The Manhunter story is now peaking my interest. I don't know much about him but just from the few pages I did read out of this issue were very interesting. I'm upset Aquaman was left out, but *sigh* maybe next issue.

    But, like I was telling JT earlier, this is hit and miss with this comic man. The fuck is Geoff Johns smoking. They need to do drug testing over there at DC because between Grant and Geoff I don't know who fucks up the most. Lol. Please excuse my language. But BD really upsets me. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What can I add? I think we're all on the same page with this mini. I really just want it to end by this point... Right now I'm only collecting it for the sake of my collection, which is pretty sad.

    I gotta say that I agree with Falisha though... What happened to the awesome GEOFF Johns who was AMAZING in the lead up(and start of)Blackest Night? I want THAT guy back!

    ReplyDelete