Thursday, January 24, 2013

Uncanny Avengers #3

Okay, so I've had my first perfect score of 2013 with the first review of the night, let's hope this issue gives me perfect score #2!  And honestly, with how good this series has been over the first two issues, a perfect score isn't out of the realm of possibilities.

Uncanny Avengers #3

Summary: We kick things off with the Red Skull, now with the telepathy of the late Professor X, arriving in Manhattan with his S-Men, as well as Rogue and the Scarlet Witch, who he captured and mentally tampered with last issue.  The Skull uses his mind control to make the people of New York turn against anybody with an X-gene, whether the person in question knew they had the gene or not...  With New York a mob scene, the Avengers show up, or at least Havok, Captain America, Wolverine and Thor do.  Havok has the group spread out to try to contain the madness all around them, which isn't exactly the way Cap would have handled things, but he goes along with Havok's orders.  Thor heads straight to the center of the madness and finds the Red Skull, immediately attacking him.  Unfortunately, Thor ends up being mentally corrupted by the Skull and one of his henchmen.  The attack does manage to free Rogue and the Witch from the Skull's power.  The two women end up coming across Wolverine, and tell him that the Skull was behind the riot,  and oh yeah, that the Skull had stolen Prof. X's brain to do so.  That pushes Wolvie over the edge and he heads off to kill the Skull.  While that's going on, Cap is slowly starting to succumb to the Skull's influence and nearly comes to blows with Havok.  Back with Wolvie, he manages to lop off the Skull's hand, but is attacked and defeated by Thor, who ends this issue by bowing to the Skull.

Thoughts: I did enjoy this comic, but there was something missing that I just couldn't put my finger on...  Plus, I didn't really like how easily Thor was overcome by the Skull and his goon.  I mean Thor IS a god and all, you'd think he'd be harder to corrupt than that!  The limited number of Avengers that showed up was a bit concerning too...  I mean I get that this series stars Cap, Thor, Havok, Wolvie, Scarlet Witch and Rogue, but with a full-scale riot in Manhattan, and there being like 5 million Avengers now, shouldn't a few more have popped up to lend a hand?  So yeah, there were a few things here that bugged me, but overall, I did enjoy reading this issue, and that's good enough for me.

Score: 8 out of 10.
uncanny avengers #3
I love that the Red Skull has one guy who's just there to serve him drinks!

1 comment: