Saturday, January 26, 2013

Avengers #3

Second(of three) reviews tonight is going to be Avengers.  I have not been a fan of this series at all thus far, but hope springs eternal, and I'm optimistic this will be the issue that draws me in...  I mean, it has to!  I don't want to drop an Avengers title from my pull list!!

Avengers #3

Summary: Stuff happened   The end.......  No?  That won't do?  Trust me, it's better that I stick with that instead of trying to sift through the mess that was this comic...  *sigh*  Fine...  I'll give it a shot.  Ex Nihilo manages to create life on Mars, but his life only speaks in gibberish...  Nihilo is pleased because that was unexpected...  Yeah...  Anyway, Cap and his AVENGERS ARMY arrive and attack Nihilo and his group of weirdos.  Even with an AVENGERS ARMY at his side, Cap sees that Nihilo and his crew were proving to be too tough for him.  Luckily for the AVENGERS ARMY, one of them is Captain Universe, and Nihilo and his weirdos seem to recognize her as... Their god?  The universe?  I don't know, but something.  Oh yeah, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Capt. Universe was randomly talking about pies the whole time.  So yeah, all of the weirdos agree to stop fighting except for Aleph, who didn't think Capt. Universe was their god/creator/universe/whatever.  Capt. Universe disintegrates Aleph to end his trouble.  With that, Nihilo agrees to stop destroying/creating on inhabited worlds and decides to stay on Mars.  As for the Avengers, they go back to Earth.

Thoughts: Wow, it's finally happened.  Jonathan Hickman has officially out-crazied Grant Morrison.  Compared to Hickman, Morrison's work is a piece of cake to understand...  There's a surefire way for me to tell I'm not enjoying a comic book...  After a few pages, usually by the halfway point, I'll just start skipping dialogue and looking at pictures in an attempt to decipher the story.  This issue had me doing that about two pages in...  The villains were uninteresting and confusing, the story was bizarre  and the ending came out of nowhere.  Hickman has his fans, which is good.  I, however, am definitely not one of them.

Score: 2 out of 10.
avengers #3
Yeah sure, pies...  Makes about as much sense as anything else in this mess...

3 comments:

  1. I think, and I'm not exaggerating, that this issue is the single worst comic book I've ever read. Seriously. Not only do I have no idea what happened, but, even you just try to look at the resolution, Hickman totally undermines his point: instead of needing more Avengers, they apparently just needed Captain Universe. I think I'm totally done with this one and "New Avengers." "Uncanny Avengers" and "Secret Avengers" are just going to have to do it for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, this comic was so terrible... I checked out your review of this issue and I think you hit the nail right on the head when you said Hickman must delete 30 percent of his script to make things "interesting"... After this issue I went to the comic shop and dropped this series. I was on the fence prior to this issue, but after this one, I was done. No sense wasting money on something that is completely indecipherable. Great point on Capt. Universe too. So much for needing an AVENGERS ARMY!! The threat ended due to a single character! Terrible...

      Delete