Monday, September 6, 2010

Wolverine: Road to Hell #1

Wolverine: Road to Hell #1: Writers: Various. Artists: Various.

Review: First off, this comic didn't really have a story. It was a teaser comic for several new Wolverine-centered comics. We begin with the teaser for the new Wolverine series. Wolverine is falling through a dark cavernous void, and has no clue as to how he got there. As he falls he hears several voices who warn him that when he lands he'll be broken like all of them, the rest of the damned. Wolverine tries to grab onto the cavern wall to pull himself up, but is bitten by Sabretooth's decapitated head and continues to plummet into the darkness. Next up we get the teaser for the new Daken and X-23 books. They are both trying to get their hands on a scientist who worked with the Weapon X project, but before either one can make their move, Malcolm Colcord(!!!!!)arrives on the scene with the military and takes the scientist into custody. With the scientist out of their grasp, Daken and X-23 both try to figure out a way to spring him. Next up we look at Uncanny X-Force. Wolverine convinces Fantomex(!)to join the team, and he meets up with Archangel and Psylocke, who are also on X-Force. While the four heroes talk, Archangel reveals that he sent Deadpool to Egypt mainly to keep Pool out of the hair of the other members of X-Force. In Egypt, Deadpool fights some weird villains and gets his hands on some sort of magical weapon. This issue ends with a brief preview of the new Generation Hope series. I skipped most of that though because it was in black and white and only seemingly half done.

What I Thought: Well, I have to say, this issue did whet my appetite for all of the new Wolverine comics. I was going to buy Wolverine, Daken, and Uncanny X-Force regardless, but this comic did get me a little bit interested in the X-23 comic... I really hate X-23 as a character, but I do like Marjorie Liu as a writer, so I'm kind of conflicted here... As for Generation Hope, even though I skipped the preview in this comic, I'll probably pick up the first few issues just to see how it starts off. If Marvel can recapture half of the magic of the early Generation X series then it should be worth it. All in all, all of the comics in this teaser book have left me intrigued by what will be happening in Wolverine's corner of the Marvel U.

Score: 8 out of 10.

I was excited about Dark Wolverine before, but the return of Malcolm Colcord(the Director from the old Weapon X series)just made the new Dark Wolverine series an ABSOLUTE must read!

2 comments:

  1. The Director is back?! WHAT?!?! Okay, now I for sure need to go and read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously!!! I was shocked when he popped up in this! I may hate X-23, but I can see I'll almost definitely be picking up her series now. Director + Daken = Untold amounts of awesomeness!

    ReplyDelete