Saturday, March 31, 2012

Secret Avengers #24

Here's a series that has been really disappointing to me for some time now... Not even a change of writer and the addition of one of my favorite comic book characters has managed to make this comic better... Well, hope springs eternal and all that jazz, so let's hope this is the issue this series becomes as great as I want it to be.

Secret Avengers #24:

Summary: In Robotland(I don't know what else to call it...), the Secret Avengers get themselves taken down, one by one, by the various robots living there... All but Valkyrie, who manages to find the child the Secret Avengers were looking for, save Black Widow and beat up and escape from those dastardly robots. Valkyrie sets Widow and the child down on a rooftop and heads off to find the other Avengers, at which time she is immediately attacked by other robots. Back at the Avengers knock-off Watchtower base, Venom gets word the the Secret Avengers were in trouble and isn't sure what to do since he wants to help, but was told by Captain America to report any trouble to the other Avengers teams. As for Hawkeye, the alleged leader of this team, he's been captured with Beast, who was shot and badly wounded. Hawkeye banters with the injured Beast, and this issue ends with Ant-Man showing up in Hawkeye and Beast's cell to rescue them.

Thoughts: I guess the real question here is this; was that the Eric O' Grady Ant-Man, or was that Hank Pym, come to help the team as the cavalry? Other than that though? There's nothing happening here that I am the least bit interested in. Hawkeye's been written as a terrible leader, the story isn't doing anything for me, there's just nothing here I can point at and say, “THIS is why you should be reading this series!” I guess I'll just move on...

Score: 4 out of 10.
secret avengers #24
Yep, this is Hawkeye's life alright...

2 comments:

  1. Dude, thank God you don't like this series either. I just finished this issue and, honestly, I have no idea what the hell is happening. I can hardly keep the adaptoids and descendants straight, I'm totally confused about what we're supposed to think about Ant-Man, and pretty much every one of the Avengers acts like an arrogant @$$ for the entire issue. But, I read reviews on other sites and Remender is some sort of freaking genius? I just don't get it. I'm going to hang in there through "A v X" and then I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It kills me that ANOTHER series where Hawkeye is a major player sucks... Seriously, poor Clint just can't catch a break! I'm so down on this series the next issue got the (dis-)honor of being the comic I'm least looking forward to reading this week. I know Remender is a huge fan fave and all(hell, I'm a HUGE fan of his Venom work, and most of his X-Force stuff), but that doesn't mean he can do no wrong(which many comic fans seem to think about certain fan favorite writers). This story is bad. It needs to end. It's that simple.

    ReplyDelete