Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Nightwing #7

One more comic to go and I've successfully completed another week's worth of reviews... And I have to say, this week was somewhat disappointing... There were a lot of books that dropped last Wednesday that I was REALLY looking forward to that were just good or very good... Nothing I'd call great. Ah well, let's hope this week ends with at least a 5, which is about as much as I can hope for out of this thus far WAY sub-par series...

Nightwing #7:

Summary: This issue opens with Saiko and Nightwing battling it out high above the burning big top. Saiko tells Nightwing his super-villain origin story©(which is something about the Court of Owls kidnapping Saiko as a youth since Dick was unavailable) while Dick tried to stay alive and figure out a way to save the people trapped below. Eventually Raya unseals the exits to the big top, allowing the people to trapped inside to escape. With the people safe, Dick is able to concentrate on Saiko, who ends up falling to his death(even through Dick tried to save him). From there, Raya is taken into police custody, and we get a direct copy of the scene between Dick and Batman from Batman #7(really?). Finally, Alfred hands Dick a file about some murders that were committed with escrima sticks, leading to Dick setting out on his next case.

Thoughts: Well, this was WAY better than I expected it to be. Sure, it was REALLY predictable at points(who DIDN'T see Raya betraying Saiko?), but overall it was much better than I had been expecting. That's not to say it was great or anything, because it wasn't, but it WAS a perfectly average comic, and for THIS series? That's a major step in the right direction. Oh, before I forget, I will say that I was a bit miffed about the scene in the Batcave here... Did we really need that scene replayed here almost word for word? You'd think most readers of Nightwing already read Batman, thus making the Batcave scene unnecessary filler...

Score: 7 out of 10.
nightwing #7
Sweet! This gives me a chance to right my wrong from the Batman #7 review!! *ahem* “I'm the Goddamn Batman!!!”

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I read Nightwing the other day and thought "X gets another chance to show Dick getting backhanded."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same thought! I was like, "OMG, this issue wasn't terrible, which means it was relatively great!" I have a little more hope for this series, actually, because I wonder how much of the pacing problems that it's had wound up being due to the fact that Higgins had to drag out the reveal to coincide with the story Snyder was telling in "Batman." At least, I'm hoping that's the case...

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA!! You know me all too well, Jermox! And you KNOW I'm gonna be abusing that picture like crazy!

    That's a good point, JW... I wonder how much of Higgins original story was altered to fit Dick into the upcoming Owls event... I don't know if it would have been radically different or better or anything(mainly because I tend to doubt DC even intended to do an Owl event until like 3 issues/months ago), but that's a good question... And yeah, the fact that I didn't think this issue was horrible was SUCH a pleasant surprise to me! It wasn't great, but I wasn't expecting great anyway, I just wanted "readable" and I got "good", so yeah, that's a big step in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete