Thursday, March 22, 2012

Avengers: X-Sanction #4

Okay, after putting in 9 long hours at work today, I figured, what the hell, I'm already in a working mood, so why not bust out four reviews for the day? So that's what we'll be getting here. Naturally, the combination of a lack of sleep, work and all around lethargy is going to lead to me shortchanging a few of the reviews I do now, so if you want to know more about the comic I reviewed, leave a comment, shoot me an e-mail, etc. And now, let's see how Avengers: X-Sanction finishes up.

Avengers: X-Sanction #4(of 4):

Summary: Man, Cable REALLY looks like Colossus on the cover of this one... Anyway, Wolverine attacks Cable, who's already pretty much humbled the Avengers, while Spider-Man tries to reason with Our Lord and Savior, Hope. Lord Summers ends up getting shot in the back by Our Lord and Savior, which leads to him blasting Spidey(whose Spider-sense was apparently broken or something...) out of the ship. From there, Blaquesmith goes into the head of Our Lord and Savior and helps her disconnect Cap and Iron Man from Cable's super-villain-esque deathtrap. Oh, and Red Hulk burns the TO Virus out of his system. With that, the Avengers beat Cable up(over the course of two pages, after I had to suffer through Cable beating up the Avengers for THREE issues!!), and Lord Summers asks to take his wayward son home to Crazy Mutie Island to die in peace. Cap, not being a scumbag like Lord Summers or Our Lord and Savior, agrees to those terms. While on Crazy Mutie Island, Our Lord and Savior manifests the Phoenix Force(wait, how, what, WHA?!) and destroys the TO Virus within Cable once and for all... Lame. Cable, still unconscious and recuperating, telepathically tells Lord Summers that “Hope is the Phoenix”(roll that around in your head for a while, especially with what we know about AvX), and the two promise to protect her from those damned, evil, evil, damned, evil, Avengers.

Thoughts: This was a weird comic book... I didn't hate it, but I definitely didn't like it either... I don't get how Hope is ALREADY the Phoenix, especially since the previews in the back of several Marvel comic books have Cap and Iron Man telling the president(or somebody) that the Phoenix was coming to Earth... Are there two Phoenixes? Did Jeph Loeb simply misunderstand what Marvel's editorial told him? Am I the only one bothered by this? Probably, due to my irrational hatred of Our Lord and Savior Hope and Lord Summers. So now we'll have Cable, not only back from the dead, but apparently fully powered(for some reason), and living on Crazy Mutie Island. Well, if nothing else, after his actions in this mini he's proven beyond a shadow of a doubt he belongs in a place called Crazy Mutie Island... Eh, I enjoyed typing up the review for this comic more than I enjoyed reading it... Go figure.

Score: 6 1/2 out of 10.
avengers x-sanction #4
Spider-sense? What Spider-sense?

14 comments:

  1. Hey, look on the bright side: Cable and Deadpool volume 2 anybody?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, you just brightened my day! Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unless Deadpool actually dies. I didn't enjoy this one that much as well. I figured we would have some big reveal (like why the Avengers had all that mutant holding gear). Instead we get that Hope is the phoenix (Duh). That is the good point that somehow Hope is the phoenix, and yet the phoenix is wrecking planets in another galaxy as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well since we know for sure that Cable's telepathy is in full force though in a coma, guess he and the x-men will be dealing with that power unrestrained destroying his body similar to Nate Grey before the x tattoo. Who knows, because of this chain of events, both Nates may need each other. But another Deadpool/Cable crossover does sound pretty awesome! A guy can wish either way, if not combined....right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, since we know that Cable's telepathy is in full force despite being in a coma, once he heals I suppose he and the x-men will be dealing with that power now unrestrained consuming his body similar to Nate Grey before the x tattoo stabilizer. Who knows, maybe both Nates can assist each other, especially since things seem the opposite (Nate's powerset deminished and Nathan's now unrestrained). But another Cable/Deadpool volume would be awesome!...or a combination of Cable/X-man/Deadpool would be even better. A guy can have wishful thinking can't he?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uhh...sorry for the double post. When I sent it originally...the internet timed-out. My bad...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed, Jermox. This mini was kind of a letdown for me too. Although to be honest, I didn't have very high hopes for it to begin with... The Deadpool thing is a good point, although I'll believe it(Pool dying) when I see it. And the Phoenix reveal was ALL sorts of weird since, as far I as know from what Marvel's released(in their own books!), the Phoenix isn't even ON Earth yet!

    No prob, RadT. Hmm, I'd LOVE if Cable somehow gave half(or more) of his powers to Nate since Cable is so used to NOT having that level of power, while Nate IS. In a way it makes sense. As it is, Cable being back, without the TO Virus, and with his powers at their zenith sort of makes Nate redundant, which worries me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Redundant....I don't think so. I'd say his existence shakes things up with all sorts of possibilities especially with establishing Nate's character and team involvement with the X-men. It's just a different direction from what his past usage was...better though in all honesty to me. Whether Cable adds his powers to Nate to balance or not, Nate's powers will return regardless. Cable will be all powerful at the moment, but without an inhibitor, it may spell worst for Cable than with the TO virus. Nate would be the perfect specimen to link/share that power with to stop impending death and burn out. But I'm fine if he doesn't share as long as both interact/bond/learn/teach from each other on the X-men team, since both are technically on the same team...Lord Summers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. IIRC, Nate's body was being wrecked because of a flaw that Sinister designed so Nate wouldn't take out Sinister after Apocalypse. I don't think Cable ever had that problem before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd totally agree with you if Nate had been around/with the New Mutants for a little bit longer, RadT... As it is, Nate's still "new" and could be gotten rid for Cable. That's the thing that kind of scares me. But then I'm kind of paranoid when it comes to Nate anyway. I keep expecting him to vanish/die again... But, if Marvel IS serious about having Nate stick around for the long run, I'd LOVE to see Nate and Cable interact some. The Nate we have now is WAY different from the Nate Cable is used to, and you'd think the two would get along really well.

    I thought Nate was dying young because his body couldn't contain all of his powers, Jermox... Although what you typed DOES sound an awful lot like something Sinister would have done... Why create Nate, have Nate kill Apocalypse and then have no real way of destroying Nate? I can't remember though...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well....we shall see. But with Nate developing feelings for the leader of the X-junior squad, I'm betting strongly that a sudden death just ain't happening! But I could be wrong. We just have to stay tuned. As far as Nathan's new perdicament, the vast power consumption of the physical body is correct X. A human vessel can't contain it. It was brought to the fore in Cable & Deadpool when Cable was lobotomized due to that very reason. So Jesus Cable, as he has been often labeled then, had the same problem as Nate Grey who also had the same immense power grade.

    ReplyDelete
  12. "I'm betting strongly that a sudden death just ain't happening!" You KNOW I'm hoping the same, RadT. I guess it all depends on how highly Marvel thinks of the New Mutants. Storywise, Nate SHOULDN'T be killed off anytime soon, because he's an integral part of the line-up, and hooking up with Dani will only make him MORE important to the book. But if Marvel thinks little of New Mutants, and only wants one ultra-powered Nate around, who knows...

    I kind of thought that was the case... I was just too lazy to do any research about Nate/Cable's powers! :P Nate's body(and Cable's I guess?) expends energy WAY more than anybody else, which was why he was always eating back in the day. To replace that expended energy and to prevent himself from burning out(kind of like a speedster). Sinister probably knew Nate WOULD burn out before he turned like 18-21, and as such didn't need to do any tampering to Nate's DNA. Either way, Sinister knew Nate would die relatively soon, which was why he led Nate to believe he had beaten Sinister to death(although Sinister miscalculated and actually DID get beaten to death, yeah, that's right, I'm ignoring that awful AOA mini-series that didn't mention Nate once!) towards the end of the AOA x-over. But naturally, it's not like I actually researched this, so I def could be off...

    ReplyDelete
  13. It would appear that Marvel will use Cable as a backup player in the AvX event when Hope looses control of the Phoenix force. It also appears that though the Pheonix isn't on Earth, Hope is somehow able to tap into its power grid which would definitely explain why that Cosmic Force is headed to earth (to see who is tapping into its energy force/signature). However, I don't get it. Like I stated earlier, Hope isn't a Grey, therefore she doesn't (shouldn't) have the Grey genome. Nor is she a telepath with omega potential psionics, although an extreme mimic. Possibly a strong absorption of psionic power (mostlikely Cable's if that is the case), but I thought she could only perform when such a mutant is in her proximody radius. She can't store such power can she X?! If she can, that may be the answer...but I never knew her powers worked that way. Either that or Jean Grey cocooned the child at birth with her genome and/or Nate Grey's sacrificial psionic essence somehow in the white room, no doubt using her as a vessel for rebirth or resurrection when the Phoenix force does arrive and/or merge. Or maybe Hope mimicked that latent power accidentally/prematurely. Anyways, despite my theories and hypothesis' are, my thought is that it's Jesus Cable who will ultimately have to confront Hope Summers in the final round because only he and Nate Grey's power is only spoken of as rivaling the Phoenix force. I bet they keep him comatose and reviving health and power til that epic moment or maybe a episode or two before.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Alright, I finally have the time to get back and do some commenting! You know, I'd bet almost any amount of money that you're right about the way AvX ends, RadT. Hope gains the Phoenix power(because, as you said, it wanted to know who was aping it's powers, although I have NO idea how Hope could even do that), goes insane and Cable, with his god-like powers, confronts Hope, which leads to Cable burning out his powers... Permanently. That way, Nate WOULDN'T become redundant when his powers return to their prior level, because Cable would no longer have the exact same powers as Nate. I could absolutely see Cable staying either totally comatose or maybe only in the background of the AvX book until like issue 9 or 10, then he could take center stage, leading to a big battle between him and Hope. That would absolutely work for me.

    ReplyDelete