Thursday, March 29, 2012

Daken: Dark Wolverine #23

Three reviews tonight, with the first one being the final issue of Daken: Dark Wolverine... There are A LOT of ways this issue could go, so instead of talking about it, how about I simply get to it?

Daken: Dark Wolverine #23(Final Issue):

Summary: The Avengers and FF chase Daken around Manhattan(after they save Mr. Fantastic of course), finally cornering him in Times Square. Wolverine arrives on the scene and approaches his wayward son, at which time Daken apologizes to Wolvie... Apologizes for lying about there not being one HUGE bomb still out there! Daken tells Wolvie that the final bomb was at the Jean Grey School. With that, a massive explosion rocks Times Square, scattering the heroes. When the smoke clears, Daken is nowhere to be found(maybe he was incinerated? Maybe he escaped? Maybe aliens abducted him, we don't know...), and Wolvie has Thor rush him to the School. Upon arriving, Wolvie charges through the building and heads to his room where he finds a Wolverine toy that Daken left for him, ending this issue and this series...

Thoughts: Uh-huh... This was... something. On the plus side, more than likely, Daken escaped since, as we all know, if you don't see the body, presume the character is still alive. I kind of liked the way Daken stuck it to Wolvie one final time here, but that Heat drug REALLY hurt the flow of this series, and, in my opinion, hurt this issue as well. I don't know, the Daken who became one of my favorite characters was a manipulative, sneaky, controlled bastard. The Daken we've gotten since Rob Williams took over as writer was needy, drug-addicted and easily used. While I do love the Daken character, I find him a magnificent yin to Wolverine's yang, I think this series needed to be canned. Have Daken disappear for a while, and then have him resurface in Wolverine, or hell, Thunderbolts/Dark Avengers. So while I'm sad that I won't be reading about Daken one to two times a month anymore, I do think the character needed a bit of a break, and look forward to seeing Daken come back strong sometime soon.

Score: 6 out of 10.
daken dark wolverine #23
I did love Daken messing with Wolvie's head one final time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment