Wednesday, April 6, 2011

New Comic Day! April 6th Edition.

It's that time again! Time for the newest installment of the craze sweeping not just the nation, but the WORLD, New Comic Day! I'm actually typing this up at school right now, as I'm between classes, so this post may be a bit quicker than my normal NCD post... Or maybe not. We'll see. And FYI, I got some GREAT(hopefully...) books today at ye olde comic shop! But before I start gushing about how excited I am to read what I picked up, I first have to go back to last week to see how my predictions held up... Last week's Pick of the Litter was Ultimate X #4, which was quite good, getting a very strong 9 out of 10 for a score. As for last week's Runt, well, I didn't read it, and I actually never plan to... It was Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #8, and I just don't have the patience to read anything masterminded by Chairman Johns anymore... It's safe to say he's now right up there with Chris Yost as my least favorite writer, and somebody whose work I now refuse to read. So yeah...

Enough about last week, let's get into this week! First off, I'm not expecting ANY subscription books, which is just staggering to me... I can't remember the last time that's happened to me. Anyway, here's what I picked up earlier today... Brightest Day #23, Freedom Fighters #8, JSA All-Stars #17, Secret Six #32, Superman/Batman Annual #3, Weird Worlds #4, Amazing Spider-Man Annual #38, Annihilators #2, Avengers: The Children's Crusade #5(!!!), Captain America: Hail Hydra #4, Fear Itself #1(!!!!), Fear Itself: Home Front #1, Uncanny X-Men #534.1, Justice League of America 80-Page Giant 2011 #1, Thunderbolts: Marvel Vault One-Shot & Wolverine: The Best There Is #5, for a grand total of 16 new books... This week is extra special because it heralds the beginning of Marvel's Summer event, Fear Itself! Now, normally the start of an event like that would be the runaway choice for this week's Pick of the Litter, but alas, that's not the case. Yes, I'm DYING to read Fear Itself #1, and it will probably be the first thing I read tonight, but there's one comic I'm even MORE interested in... So this week's Pick of the Litter is Avengers: The Children's Crusade #5. I mean hell, I haven't given any of the first 4 issues(or the tie-in) lower than a 9 1/2 for a score! That's just amazing. So yes, Children's Crusade gets the honor of being this week's top book. As for the Runt of the Litter, need you even ask? Come on, it's easily Brightest Day #23, or as it's better know as, The Worst Thing To EVER Come Out Of DC. Oh, and that Thunderbolts issue is an old inventory story from Fabian Nicieza's T-Bolts run starring none other than Nomad(Jack Monroe)! And that's that. I'll post a Random Scan, and then it's time to sit back and read Fear Itself #1. Until next time, X out.

The Random Scan of the Week!Heh-heh... Deadpool...

13 comments:

  1. I just finished reading Fear Itself #1, and it was good...much better than I expected! But I'll wait until you post your review to give any more thoughts on that.

    Is Young Avengers #5 the last issue, or is there another one after that? Also, any idea what Fear Itself: Home Front is? Just from the name, I'm guess it's the Fear Itself equivalent of Civil War: Front Line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you beat me to the punch, Marc! I got home a bit early today(my last class was canceled, like so many DC comics...), so I plan on reading and reviewing both Fear Itself #1 and Home Front #1 for tonight. I think Home Front is like Frontline, but I'm not sure. I'll know in a few. All I do know is that Christos Gage and Peter Milligan are writing it, making it a must buy for me.

    Actually, there are 9 parts to Children's Crusade, meaning I have several more months of reading that absolute awesomeness! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've gotta read Brightest Day asap...it's stirring up a lot of controversy on the internet, and I think it may have pushed JT to his breaking point! I'll be looking forward to hearing what you think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *sigh* I really don't want to read BD, Marc... I still haven't read the LAST issue yet! I saw a glimpse of JT's review on my dashboard when I signed in and he seemed LIVID over it! On one hand morbid curiousity is making me want to read it, but on the other hand, I KNOW it's gonna be awful, and therefore a huge waste of time...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, after reading JT's review on BD I am DEFINITELY looking forward to reading your review. If you completely disagree with JT, which I doubt lol, I think I will seriously shut my blog down lmao. That will blow my mind.

    Outside of BD I'm also looking forward to reading your review on the JLA 80 Page giant, your review will basically help me decide on whether or not I get this comic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY doubt me and JT are gonna disagree on that BD comic! I've been tearing it apart for MONTHS now! Unlike poor JT who was always trying to find SOMETHING positive about that crap. Me? I was ripping it from issue #1 on! :P

    That 80 pg JLA comic was pretty pricey, Lisha. Like $6! DC is drawing the line at $2.99 my ass! :D I have a few Marvel books to get through tonight, but I'll put that comic near the top of my DC stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually like the plot direction that the latest issue of BD took...a lot, in fact. That said, not having read the whole thing, it's entirely possible that the execution of that issue could have been completely horrible. But either way, I am excited about that plot development and its implications for a certain favorite character in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lol, yeaaah I don't know why I was thinking that. But it'll still be fun to see the number of things you both point out. Lol.

    And X, no need to rush on my account hun. I know how you look forward to reading your Marvel issues. And 6 bucks for that issue? Jeez another 7-8 bucks you can get a good trade with about 6-8 issues lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was quite disturbed to see some of the similarities between our reviews actually, Lisha... Quite disturbed indeed... :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lol, you guys are like secret twins your parents failed to let you each know about. Lol...and I wish you would've heard the excitement in JT's voice when I called him this morning saying you blogged. Lol.

    You guys are seriously the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. If JT and I are secret twins, then one of my parents has a LOT of explaining to do! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. lmao, they sure do! But you know deep down inside it'd be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally, I wouldn't be surprised! :D

    ReplyDelete