Monday, May 3, 2010

Booster Gold #31

A new shipment of comics arrived for me today, so that, coupled with the fact that I have less then two weeks before the end of the school year has me in a pretty good mood! The shipment of new books contained the last two weeks worth of non-subscription comics, as well as a hefty helping of back issues. After sorting through my new comics pile, I noticed that I have really been neglecting my Marvel books! So tonight I'm going to post two more DC reviews(because I had typed them up before I realized how far behind I'd gotten in my Marvel reading), followed by the Rise of Arsenal #2 comic(which I should get to by tomorrow). Then it's going to be a whole load of Marvel books, mainly Siege related comics. And that's the plan for the upcoming week. I only have one more paper to polish off, and two more finals(one on Wednesday and one next week), so I'm hoping to get quite a few reviews up and posted over the course of the next few days. OK, now that that's taken care of, on to the reviews!

Booster Gold #31: Writer & Artist: Dan Jurgens.
Last Issue: 10 out of 10.

Review: This issue kicks off with Booster blowing off some steam by beating up some goons sporting some advanced weaponry. Booster carelessly tears into the goons and during the fight, a stray beam hits a little girl's dog and kills it. Booster goes to apologize, but the girl is inconsolable and her father is furious. In the end, Booster leaves, heading to an isolated spot in Russia so he could think about the way his life was turning out. While Booster is reflecting, Rip Hunter shows up and gives Booster a pep talk, which lifts Booster's spirits a bit. Booster heads back to Rip's time lab and tries to console his sister, who is mourning the death of her boyfriend during the destruction of Coast City. Michelle tries to ignore Booster at first, but he ultimately gets through to her and the two hug it out before she leaves. This issue ends with Rip taking Booster a few minutes back in the past to save the little girl's dog before it gets hit with the stray blast, thus showing Booster that things aren't all bad.

What I Thought: This was Dan's final issue on this series and I've got to say, I'm really sad to see him go. He had some big shoes to fill when Geoff Johns pulled a Geoff Johns during the early part of this series(for those of you who don't know, “pulling a Geoff Johns” means to start a new series, stay for only a few issues, and then move on), but I thought Dan did a great job, especially during the last few issues. This comic was more or less a placeholder/fluff issue, but it was well done. Next issue brings a new creative team, so I guess we'll see what they have up their sleeves for old Booster.

Score: 7 1/2 out of 10.Hey, check out Booster taking care of business!

No comments:

Post a Comment