Sunday, February 8, 2009

Vigilante #1 & 2

Overall- Basically, I decided to purchase this series for two reasons. #1, I heard that this series will be involved in the upcoming Teen Titan/Titan crossover. As for #2, I enjoyed Marv Wolfman's work on Nightwing not that long ago. It was in those Nightwing comics this current Vigilante was (re-)introduced. To be honest with you, these 2 comics left absolutely no impression on me. I'll give a quick rundown of what I read, but I'm going to be pretty brief here.

Apparently, Jericho orchestrated some kind of election day bombings in a DC mini-series a few months ago. I can't remember what the title of the mini-series was, mainly due to the fact that I didn't buy it! When I remember the name of this mini, I'll probably pick it up, since several comics I read keep referencing it. Anyway, it seems that some members of the mafia helped Jericho carry out the bombings and that since the bombings, someone has been rubbing out mobsters in New York.

So, Vigilante decides to find out who orchestrated the bombings(he initially doesn't know Jericho was responsible), and discover the source of the brewing mob war... Convoluted enough for you? The bottom line here is that Vigilante discovers that Jericho is responsible for the bombings, but at the end of the second issue, he also finds out that Nightwing was supposedly working with Jericho. Yeah, I kind of doubt that... But, this revelation sets up a confrontation between Nightwing and Vigilante next issue.

I personally found these comics pretty boring. Vigilante himself is a pretty bareboned, boring character. We know nothing of his past, except that he doesn't seem to be the original Vigilante, and that he is more than willing to kill the bad guys. Basically, Vigilante is the Punisher in a helmet. I'll stick with this comic through the Titans crossover, but unless this series dramatically improves, I kind of doubt I'll be collecting this comic for very long.

For a score, I'll give both issues of this series a 3 out of 10. I really think Marv needs to flesh Vigilante out a little bit... Who is he? Why does he do what he does? What is his relationship to the original Vigilante? Without knowing anything about Vigilante, it's kind of hard to care about him, or this comic book.

No comments:

Post a Comment