Monday, February 2, 2009

New Comic Day!

Yay, new comic books arrived today. This was an order from a week and a half ago, so still, no Final Crisis #7... However, this new batch of books should keep me occupied until FC #7 finally arrives, hopefully by Friday at the latest. First, I'll take a look at the new comics in this order, before I move onto the back issues.

Dark Avengers #1- The only reason I purchased this comic book is because of the fact that Marvel Boy(Noh-Varr)is on this team. That's really it. If not for Noh-Varr's inclusion, I wouldn't have bothered to even give this comic a look. I don't expect to collect this comic series for long either. I'll stick around just long enough to see how badly Brian Michael Bendis f###s up Grant Morrison's creation(Noh-Varr). Grant did a great job in creating Noh-Varr, and I just KNOW that Brian is going to take everything Grant did with Noh-Varr and completely change it. My main gripe about Brian Michael Bendis and his writing is that he tends to completely re-write or flat out ignore main points about a character. I guarantee you, Brian will take Noh-Varr and change him so much that he'll seem like another character altogether. When that happens I'm going to be mighty pissed off...

Birds of Prey #126- With Birds #127 being the last issue of the series, I really don't expect much from this comic book. All Tony Bedard can really do is just wrap up his current storylines as quickly as possible.

Faces of Evil: Solomon Grundy #1- The ONLY reason I picked up this comic was because of the name of the writer gracing the cover. If not for the fact that Geoff Johns was the writer, I definitely wouldn't have picked up this comic.

Vigilante #1&2- Since I enjoyed Marv Wolfman's work on Nightwing, and this series spins right out of that work, I figured I'd give this series a shot.

Faces of Evil: Deathstroke #1- It's DEATHSTROKE and it's written by David Hine! Where the hell has David Hine been the last few years??? I LOVED his work on District X back in the day, but with the exception of a few post-Decimation X-Men related mini-series, I can't recall David doing any work for the big two. Oh baby, I can't wait to read this one...

Final Crisis: Superman Beyond 3D #2(of 2)- Huh, I still haven't even read the first issue of this series yet. Before I read FC #7, I'll probably give both issues 1 and 2 a read. And yes, I'll be wearing the 3D glasses that come with these comics when I read them...

Guardians of the Galaxy #9- This comic book has inexplicably become one of my favorite Marvel titles right now. Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning are doing a great job on this series. I've said it before, and I'll doubtlessly say it again, you should REALLY give this comic book a chance.

Justice League of America #29- Hey, this comic isn't written by Dwayne McDuffie, which I hate to say is a major plus... I really haven't been enjoying Dwayne's work on JLA as of late, and I look forward to seeing what kind of a fill-in story Len Wein can cobble together. Another big plus here is the fact that ChrisCross, whose work on Captain Marvel in the late 1990's/early 2000's along with Peter David is some of my favorite comic work EVER, is the artist for this comic.

Mighty Avengers #21- It's an Avengers title, and it's NOT written by Brian Michael Bendis... What's not to like! Seriously though, Dan Slott is one of the great, under appreciated writers in comicdom, so it's nice to see Marvel reward him by giving him one of the main Avengers titles. With Dan writing Mighty Avengers, at least I know that one Avengers title will be worth reading monthly.

That's the end of the new stuff, here's some of the older stuff I picked up:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns tpb- Frank Miller + Batman = Amazing!!!

Batman: The Dark Knight Strikes Again tpb- See above.

Batman: The Killing Joke: The Deluxe Edition- This just seemed like one of those comics that SHOULD be a part of my collection. Even though I know the premise of this book pretty well, it just seemed like I should own/read this comic book first hand.

Nightwing and Captain Boomerang #1- Anyone who has read my blog with any regularity knows that I really like Nightwing, so that should explain why I picked this book up.

Nightwing: Our World at War #1- Once again, see above.

A few assorted Starman tpb's and comics to(almost)complete my collection... I now proudly own every single Starman comic written by James Robinson, except for Starman #74... I can't find #74 anywhere. It's not contained in any tpb I own, and thus far, I haven't been able to find it in any online comic book store. Although I'm pretty confidant that eventually I'll own Starman #74, it's kind of annoying that I own the whole series save that ONE comic...

And there you have it. These are the comics I'll be reading as I await the arrival of FC #7.

No comments:

Post a Comment