Sunday, February 22, 2009

Adventure Comics #0

Overall- To be perfectly honest here, I wasn't expecting to even bother reviewing this comic book, since the majority of it was a reprint of the first appearance of the Legion of Super-Heroes. However, after reading the "Origins & Omens" story in the back of this issue(written by the spectacular Geoff Johns)I felt I had to write something about this comic, mainly due to the possible repercussions.

Right off the bat, let me state that I'm only up to issue #10 of the Green Lantern series, so my understanding of all things Green Lantern is still somewhat rudimentary. This O&O story is told from the viewpoint of a Guardian of the Universe, who was burned by the Anti-Monitor(once again, let me state, since I haven't progressed very far in the GL series, I don't know what most of that means!). This Guardian, Scar, tells us the story of Lex Luthor and Brainiac. I really don't know when these events took place, but I suspect it was during the Teen Titans/Outsiders crossover from a few years back.

Anyway, Lex is imprisoned somewhere and he is walking along with Brainiac's apparently inert body. Some guards surround Lex and tell him to return to his cell, to which Lex refuses, before commanding Brainiac to kill the guards. After that is taken care of, Lex leads Brainiac to it's ship. Lex, of course figures he is the master here, but is shocked when Brainiac grabs Lex and explains that Lex will be working for Brainiac, not the other way around.

From this scene, we return to Scar, who says that Lex used to have control of another, but that person is currently dead, and that "We" control the dead now. Scar goes on to say that the dead will save Lex Luthor from Brainiac, Superman and finally, himself. After Scar says this, we see a big picture of the deceased Superboy.

So, this O&O story obviously is leading into Geoff's mega-event, "Blackest Night". I am, was, and always will be a HUGE fan of Superboy. The fact that Scar is even insinuating that SB is going to be a part of Blackest Night has me counting the days until Blackest Night gets underway. The deaths of Superboy and Bart Allen(Impulse/Kid Flash/Flash)have always bothered me, and if SB is involved with Blackest Night, I'll definitely be there! For a score, I'll give this mini-story a 7 1/2 out of 10. Please let this lead to the return of Superboy... Please!

No comments:

Post a Comment