Thursday, October 13, 2011

Grifter #2

The second DC book I'll be reading this week? None other than Grifter! If you didn't know Grifter had a comic book you apparently aren't the only one, as Grifter #1 was unfortunately on the low end of September's DC comic sales... Yet Flash #1 was a top seller... That just goes to show that people in general have no taste.

Grifter #2:

What Happened: Grifter manages to convince his girlfriend to meet him at a diner so he can try to explain what happened to him what with all of the alien weirdness last issue. Before he can explain too much a cop walks in and Grifter can hear his thoughts, meaning the cops was one of the weird aliens after him. Grifter ultimately manages to defeat the possessed cop, but in doing so freaks out his girlfriend who doesn't want to see him anymore. Grifter takes off and ends up being confronted by his brother, a member of the army. Grifter manages to jam his brother's gun before taking off, with his brother hot on his heels.

The Good: Much like Deathstroke #2, this was another fast moving DC book. The cliffhanger was strong. We learn a bit more about Grifter's past.

The Bad: We still don't know what's up with the weird aliens/whatever the hell they are that are possessing people. Apparently they're called Daemonites, but I only know that from the cover of this issue, as that name was never mentioned inside this issue. The reveal that Grifter used to work Black Ops for the military was tossed out with no fanfare at all. That seems sort of important to be revealed in such an offhanded sort of way.

The Verdict: This was one of those perfectly acceptable comic books I'll sometimes mention. I mean it wasn't great, it wasn't horrible. I probably won't remember it when I wake up tomorrow. It was simply okay. I will say that I'm a bit miffed that the term Daemonite was never used in this issue. I mean if THAT is the name of this big threat that has turned Grifter's life inside out, shouldn't that name show up SOMEWHERE?

Score: 7 out of 10.“You bring a fist to a gunfight? How human of you.” What the HELL does that even mean?!?

15 comments:

  1. Haha, that quote was my LOTI. And yeah, we were pretty similar on this review if I recall correctly. Oh, and just so ya know, My laptop is outta commission, but Lisha was nice enough to let me borrow hers until the part for mine comes next week. :D So yeah, Grift was adequate but Lisha rules.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, I can sympathize JT. It wasn't that long ago when my laptop wire died on me and I had to wait for the adapter to arrive. Being laptop-less is a very jarring experience!

    As for this issue, it was okay. It didn't blow me away or anything, it was just okay. But hey, okay isn't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall, the cooling fan on mine died so I had to order a new one then gotta swap it out when it comes next week, so that should be fun, haha.

    Same here, it wasn't bad so that's all I ask, as long as it's somewhat enjoyable, I'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, good luck, mi amigo... I HATE having to open up my computer... Hell, I almost electricuted myself as a kid trying to fix a VCR, I can only imagine what would happen to me if I tried fixing a computer! :P

    Agreed. I read so much shit in a week, I'm happy when I get an average/okay comic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lmao... you gotta email me the story of how you did that... that sounds unintentionally hilarious.

    Speaking of which, Falisha and I are running through Walking dead, we're on trade 7. Still highly recommend ya read that when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA! Trust me, it's not that interesting... It's kind of sad really. Shows what a dumb kid I was! :D

    Meh. I'm sure I'll probably get to it one day, but I have SO many back issues of my own that I haven't read yet I'm not really looking forward to asking my brother to lend me even MORE back issues!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol does it involve you sticking a fork in a VCR or something?

    I hear you dude, hell I feel like I'm following too many books at the moment, but that's the thing about great comics, you always end up reading them eventually, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll shoot you an e-mail in a few so you can see just how dumb I was. And no, it didn't involve a fork!

    That is true. I'm sure someday I'll get to it. And YOU saying you feel you're following too many comics right now made me laugh a little... Dude, did you forget who you're talking to? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, you may have a bunch of comics but I have quite a few comics, full-time girlfriend (as opposed to part-time?) AND a job, on top of watching TV which you barely do. So recognize, son! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. What exactly would a part-time girlfriend consist of? And I'll have a job soon enough. I'll be getting my shoes on Monday, playa! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could say but then I'll have to make a prostitution joke... And I pictured you getting your shows then just getting a job as a tap dancer or something... Lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. If it pays well and they'd hire somebody with NO rhythm whatsoever, I'd take that tap dancing job in a heartbeat! :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'll pay you fifty dollars right now to come tap dance for five minutes straight with no stopping...

    ReplyDelete
  14. If I lived around you I'd do that you know...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lmao, just record it for youtube, I'll send it Paypal. :P

    ReplyDelete