Saturday, April 28, 2012

American Vampire #26

First comic to be reviewed tonight? Let's head over to Vertigo and Scott Snyder's awesome American Vampire series. Yeah, I think that's a good idea, let's do that!

American Vampire #26:

Summary: Some vampire named Calvin heads to a small town in 1954 Alabama to see a friend of his play a music gig(incognito since Cal doesn't want his friend to know he's there since Cal had faked his death to join the Morning Stars). Cal ends up getting hassled by some of the town's teenagers, but the kids are chased off by an old man. Later on, Cal again runs into the teens, and they try to warn him that the town wasn't what it seemed. At that point the old man comes racing over and smashes one of the teens in the head with his cane before scolding the teen for airing the town's dirty laundry. With that, the old man transforms into some sort of new vampire creature, surprising Cal and ending this one.

Thoughts: Meh. My problem with this issue was the fact that I don't remember Calvin... At all! I assume he met Skinner Sweet during WWII, but for the life of me I don't remember for sure... While the story as it was wasn't bad, I can't help but think it could have been even better if I knew who the hell Calvin was!

Score: 6 out of 10.
american vampire #26
You always have to watch out for those tricky old men!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah you are correct, Calvin was one of the soldiers who fought alongside with Sweet during WWII (altought I believe he was bitten for one of those rare vampires in Japan)

    Like you, I did enjoyed the story but couldt stop thinking about the cliffhangers from the last issue (Sweet being an agent for the Vassals, pearl and Henry's death and travis facing dozens of vampires on his own) , I would had enjoyed this way more if those storys were solved already, cuz that is the only thing I was specting from this issue a resolution for all that interrogants...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That second paragraph PERFECTLY sums up my biggest complaint about this one, Alien... I mean this issue wasn't bad, but it kind of came out of nowhere and interrupted the flow we had been getting. No Skinner, no Pearl/Harry, and yeah, even no Travis... I would have preferred if one of those other things were the main story here while the stuff with Calvin was a sort of back-up story...

    ReplyDelete