Sunday, November 1, 2009

A Quick Look at Wolverine Origins #41

Writer: Daniel Way. Pencils: Doug Braithwaite.

What Happened: Wolverine decides he needs to try a different tactic to defeat Romulus(since tackling him head-on didn't work), so he decides to do something that Romulus would never expect. To that end, he heads to the junkyard where Bruce Banner has been hanging out. Wolverine asks Banner for help, and Banner tells him no deal. Wolvie decides to try his luck with the Hulk instead(WHY!?!)and smacks Banner in the face. Instead of Banner turning into the Hulk though, the Hulk's son, Skaar, shows up to defend his old man. Skaar pounds Wolvie and Wolvie tries to appeal to Bruce's paternal side by stating he's only trying to help his own son, Daken. Banner doesn't care to hear it and Skaar kicks Wolvie into the next state. Wolvie wakes up pretty badly banged up and a passerby offers him help and a place to stay. The passerby's son doesn't agree and fearing for his father, he places a call to the FBI. The Feds call Romulus in order to tell him they've located Wolvie, and Romulus calls the Governor of whatever state Wolvie landed in and as per Romulus' orders the Governor sends out a battalion of cops to take Wolvie in. Wolvie awakens to sirens and quickly realizes he's been sold out. Wolvie decides to make a break for it, and this issue ends with Bruce Banner and Skaar helping Wolvie lose the cops, with Banner telling Wolvie that they may be able to help each other.

What I Thought: When I looked at the cover if this issue and saw Skaar, I have to say, I was pretty disappointed. I've never been a fan of the Hulk, so needless to say, I really don't care about his son. As a matter of fact, I can't recall ever reading a comic book that had Skaar in it. The thought of a younger version of the Hulk running around in a loin-cloth just doesn't interest me in the least. With that said though, I did enjoy this comic. The story made perfect sense, instead of defeating Romulus in a straight up fight, Wolvie is going to try to manipulate the master manipulator by acting in ways Romulus wouldn't expect. And what better way to throw Romulus off-balance then by trying to strike up an alliance with the Bruce Banner, a man/monster Wolvie has been feuding with since day one? There's NO way Romulus saw THAT one coming! I just renewed my subscription to this series, so that right there should tell you just how much I'm looking forward to the next issue(s) of this comic.

Score: 8 out of 10.Now THAT really looks painful. And I complain when I get a splinter!

No comments:

Post a Comment