Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's almost Christmas time!

We're about one week away from the Christmas holiday, which for many of us holds fond memories of years gone by, with family both still here, and some no longer among us. Christmas, to me, is first and foremost a time for being with family, and appreciating them for the time we have left on this planet.

Of course, with that being said, we live in a materialistic society, so Christmas presents are a pretty big part of the Christmas holiday as well. For the record, I am HORRIBLE at holding on to the presents I buy for my family until Christmas day. I've always been this way, and this year was no different. Early last week, I ordered my sister a bunch of Green Arrow comic books she had been unsuccessfully trying to get her hands on for about a half a year. I tend to spread my love of comic books to those around me, and my sister is one of those people that has been bitten by my comic book bug. The Green Arrow comics in question included the death of Oliver Queen, which my sis had been wanting to read for months now. Once I received these comics in the mail, I couldn't help myself, and I gave them to her, even though Christmas was a good 2 weeks off.

No sooner then I gave her these comics, did she read them, finishing off all 8 issues in one night! Upon hearing that, I was pretty happy, because if she read them that quickly, I know that she really enjoyed and appreciated my gift. Well, yesterday, my sister surprised me by giving me the Christmas present she picked out for me early, the "Absolute Batman-Hush" collection. This hardcover book looks f###ing amazing! The book is in an oversized, prestige format, and collects the 12 part Batman-Hush storyline, where Hush made his debut.

On top of that, it includes an interview with writer Jeph Loeb and artist Jim Lee, with the added bonus of several sketches from Jim Lee. After reading Detective Comics #850, I made a fleeting comment to my sister about how much I enjoyed Hush in that comic, and she obviously picked up on that comment. I can honestly say I was very surprised and excited when she gave me this book, and I can't wait to dig into it! I just figured I'd post this, since receiving this present was such an unexpected and pleasant surprise.

It's funny, out of everybody in my life, my sister is the biggest comic book fan I know, but she absolutely REFUSES to read my blog. When I asked why, she responded, "I have to LISTEN to all of your comic book complaints, why would I also want to read about them?" Ah, that's my little sister, you've got to love her!

2 comments:

  1. Can you believe it only dawned on me just this year that Christmas is for the Christians? My wife (who's Catholic) brought this to my attention. I've had this secular view of the holiday my whole life! Does this mean I can stop buying gifts for people? I'm totally kidding. For me, it represents a time of togetherness with family as well.

    Why should your sis read your blog, when she's got the walking, talking version right there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family just aren't very religious people(I can't remember the last time we all went to church!). But the one holiday we all try to get together for is Christmas. I guess we look at Christmas as a family holiday as opposed to a religious holiday.

    I used to work with a guy who wouldn't buy ANY of his family or friends any presents, and he would always tell people not to buy anything for him. He told me that he would just buy himself the stuff he wanted, and he encouraged his family and friends to do the same. I always liked tht philosophy.. You know, buy what you want for yourself, and I'll do the same!

    Why wouldn't my sister want to not only hear, but also read my witty comments? Hey that's twice the X-Man goodness! She should feel twice as lucky! ;-)

    ReplyDelete