Wednesday, May 18, 2011

New Comic Day! May 18th Edition.

Hey X-Maniacs, it's Wednesday, meaning it's time for yet another installment of the blog post that's sweeping the known universe, New Comic Day! We'll do this the same way we usually do this, by first taking a look back at last week before moving onto which books I picked up for this week. Last week the comic I was most looking forward to was REBELS #28, and it came away with a perfect score. Unfortunately that was the final issue of REBELS, but hey, that just proves that the powers-that-be over at DC are a bunch of sorry clowns. Last week's Runt of the Litter, or the comic I was least looking forward to, was FF #3 and it surpassed my low expectations, with me giving it an above average score of an 8 out of 10.

So there we go, that was last week, what's on tap for this week? Earlier today I picked up the following comics... Batman and Robin #23, Batman: Gates of Gotham #1, Fables #105, Hellblazer #279, Justice League of America #57, Outsiders #39, Supergirl #64, Superman/Batman #84, Teen Titans #95, Zatanna #13, Amazing Spider-Man #661, Avengers #13, Avengers Academy #14, Generation Hope #7, Hawkeye: Blindspot #4, Invincible Iron Man #504, Namor Annual #1, Silver Surfer #4, Thunderbolts #157, Uncanny X-Force #10, X-23 #10, X-Factor #219 & X-Men: Prelude to Schism #2. 23 comics?! Sheesh, that's excessive even by my standards... Anyway, I had a bit of difficulty deciding on this week's Pick of the Litter... I was pretty sure it would be Batman and Robin #23, which features the return of Jason Todd... And then I saw that Hawkeye: Blindspot #4 was in this week's pile... So after some thought, I have to go with Hawkeye: Blindspot for this week's pick. That mini-series has been absolutely fantastic from the beginning, and with this issue giving us the final confrontation between Hawkeye and Baron Zemo, how could I NOT pick this? This week's Runt of the Litter was a very easy choice... It's Supergirl #64, hands down. I'm thisclose to dropping this series, and another bad showing here will probably be the last straw for me. And that's it. Another week in the books. I'll post the Random Scan of the Week, and then it's time to read some comics! Until next time, X out!

The Random Scan of the Week!This'll probably be the last new REBELS post I put on the blog in a long time...

14 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a lot of comics this week! Are you caught up to Fables in the trades? Also, here's hoping to a great ending for Hawkeye: Blindspot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope... And who knows when/if I ever will get caught up... :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. X!! I must say, that is quite a few comics you've got to read ahead of ya.

    But I'll be here to read each one, commenting where I see fit, because I'm that awesome. ^_^

    But I'm definitely looking forward to your Zatanna review, especially since I'll be reviewing it as well, lol.

    Also, Fables, when you get there, lol, Batman & Robin, Batman: Gates of Gotham (I may review that too)and last but not least, X-23. :)

    Have fun getting some reading in, almost graduate. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Lisha! I should actually have a review for Batman and Robin up in a couple of minutes believe it or not! How's THAT for service! :D Oooo, here's hoping you DO take a look at Gates of Gotham! I'll def be interested to see what JT and yourself and I thought about that one in review form!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww you're very welcome. :) And I seen the score. Lol, I refuse to read either you or JT's reviews until I read the issue. Lol. I usually nab JT's copy but I couldn't wait. Lol. So picked it up myself. Since I'm doing nothing right now, I think I'll get some reading in tonight. Try to actually get caught up, but I'll be reading Batman and Robin first.

    I'm slowly getting back into reading Batman thanks to Gates of Gotham and Arkham City, and hopefully Batman and Robin can get my interest back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All right! I can't wait to see what you thought of that issue, Lisha. It seems that JT and I are on opposite sides of the Jason Todd debate, so I'll be interested in your opinion of that comic.

    With how bad the rest of the DCU is, I consider the Bat-books to be my DC oasis. Maybe you'll end up thinking the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha how do you KNOW we're on opposite sides because I said I didn't mind the hair :P You don't even know what rating I gave the comic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... My guess is an 8 1/2 or a 9. You seemed high on everything except for the ending. I betcha I hit the nail RIGHT on the head! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. For the record I gave it an 8/10, so YOU lose sir! Contemplated a 7.5 but I gave it the 8.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! I'm seriously shocked! When is that review getting posted, because I'm dying to read it! I mean damn, for you, like Jason Todd fan numero uno to give a score of almost a 7 1/2, is a BIG surprise! So needless to say, my favorite character's reappearance was way more satisfying than yours I guess! :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, it was what it was, I mean I definitely enjoyed the Jason in prison stuff, his talk with Bruce and everything, but the ending fell flat for me. And yeah, YOUR character didn't have his hair dyed and get saved by a bunch of gun-toting talking animals did he? :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear ya. I wasn't exactly impressed with the conversation between Bruce and Jason either, which I guess explains why my score was slightly lower than yours.

    "And yeah, YOUR character didn't have his hair dyed and get saved by a bunch of gun-toting talking animals did he?" HA!!!!!! You literally made me do a spit-take when I read that... Let that be a lesson to me to not sip my water while reading your responses... And in answer to your question, no. No he did not. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Exactamundo, I am wondering if this leads to the redemption of Jason but after murdering all those criminals, I doubt anything can stop him now.

    You're damn right he didn't, He came there to kill criminals and build doll house furniture, you see any Dollhouse furniture Dick? No you dont! Thats right you dont! Dont you eyeball, Jason, don't you eyeball the Red Hood. Now ya got the Hood barking! lmao

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yeah, after killing like 80+ inmates, it's gonna be hard for Bats to redeem Jason now, especially since he obviously isn't interested in redemption. BUT, we are talking about Grant Morrison here, and if there's one great thing about him, it's that he doesn't care what people think, meaning if he wants Jason as Wingman, it doesn't matter if Jason kills 1,000 criminals, Jason will STILL become Wingman!

    :/

    ReplyDelete