Wednesday, July 6, 2011

New Comic Day! July 6th edition.

Hey all, once again, it's Wednesday, which means it's time for a brand new installment of New Comic Day! I've picked up a pretty good amount of comic books today, but the comics I'm most psyched for would be the FOUR Fear Itself related books I grabbed! So over the next two days, expect a WHOLE load of Fear Itself related stuff on this blog, as we get the fallout from Fear Itself #3, the next part of the exceptional Youth in Revolt tie-in, as well as two new Wolverine-centric tie-ins, a self-titled mini-series and an X-Force tie-in. So yeah, the next two days around here should be hopping! But I'm getting ahead of myself... Let's take a look back at last week's comics and how they did... Last week's Pick of the Litter was Avengers: The Children's Crusade #6, and it continued to dazzle me, EASILY getting a perfect 10 out of me. On the other hand, last week's Runt of the Litter was FF #5, which wasn't great, but wasn't that bad, getting a middle of the road score of 6 1/2. And now, a new addition to my weekly New Comic Day post, it's average score time!!! Yes, I am SUCH a math nerd... Anyway, last week's average score amongst the comics I read was a 7.07, so basically a perfectly, middle of the road score overall last week. While certain comics(Uncanny X-Men #539!) pulled that score down, others(Children's Crusade #6 & Ultimate X #5) made up the difference, and as far as I'm concerned, any week I average over a 7 is a good week!

Okay, that takes care of last week, let's take a look at this week. Here are the books I picked up a few hours ago... Irredeemable #27, Batman and Robin 325, Secret Six #35, Superboy #9, Titans Annual #1, Vengeance #1, Fear Itself #4, Fear Itself: Uncanny X-Force #1, Fear Itself: Wolverine #1, Fear Itself: Youth in Revolt #3, Heroes for Hire #9, Thunderbolts #160, Uncanny X-men #540 & X-23 #12.. So once again, a good amount of books, mainly Marvel comics, and plenty of comics I'm really looking forward to. The top comic? My Pick of the Litter? That's easy. Fear Itself #4 hands down. Depending on what we find out this issue(and if you read Fear Itself #3, you KNOW what I'm talking about!), I'll probably either love or hate this comic... Passionately... We'll see... As for this week's Runt, I'm going to go with Uncanny X-Men #540. I'm sorry to any Kieron Gillen fans, but I just don't like his writing. I haven't actually liked anything he's ever written, and honestly wish he'd move on to less mainstream comics than the X-books, because I think he needs some more seasoning before trying his hand at one of Marvel's premier titles. But that's just my opinion. And I think that's probably going to do it for this week. By the end of the day, I'll have my review for Fear Itself #4 up, possibly another Fear Itself comic, and don't be shocked if I bust out a bonus post talking about Fear Itself #4 by the end of the night. I think that takes care of everything for this week, so I'll leave you all with this week's random scan before giving a hearty, X out!

The Random Scan of the Week!I see Bruce is letting his inner Batman free here...

7 comments:

  1. Nice idea on adding the "average score" feature! It's too bad that wasn't around when Brightest Day was still going, as I'd have LOVED to see some of those averages...

    I'll be interested to hear about Fear Itself #4 - it sounds like that's going to be a "make it or break it" issue for this series. I also didn't know you were caught up on Irredeemable. Does it stay as good after the first trade?

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Considering one of those BD issues got like -356 for a score, I'd think that would make that average look REALLY bad! :D

    As I'm sure you saw, I already pumped out that Fear Itself #4 review, I wasn't waiting around to read that! And as for Irredeemable, I've read 1-25, but my shop STILL hasn't gotten #26, so I'll probably wait for that issue before I read #27. But yeah, I've enjoyed the series throughout. Mark Waid is one of those guys who knows how to tell a good old super-hero story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the random scan...that's during Alan Davis' run on Detective, right. Good stuff, there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing so many of X's scans from that era, I'd love it if they would put some of those Alan Davis Batman comics in trade. Same with all of the Jason Todd issues pre-"Death in the Family." It boggles my mind how many great Batman comics there are from the '80s and '90s that people haven't read (myself included) since they've never been collected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds about right, Mock. I recently brought like 30 1980's Batman books and read through them, so they all sort of blend together. But that's almost definitely Alan Davis' work right there.

    They really should, Marc... That's something DC is missing out on, because some of those issues are good to great. Then again, DC only wants to acknowledge certain parts of their history, so we'll probably never get a collection from that era...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Firstly, Lol at that scan and secondly I seriously need to read yoru reviews on this Fear Itself stuff. Lol. You make it sound sooooo interesting. So I'll prolly pop in to read and comment a bit.

    Also looking forward to your X-23 review, hoping you enjoy it better than the last couple. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that scan too, Lisha... Bruce goes from carefree playboy to menacing Batman in like zero seconds flat there!

    Well, Fear Itself is THE big event going on over at Marvel, and since Marvel is the number one comic company by far, it's a pretty big deal. If you have any questions, you KNOW I'd be happy to answer them for you! ;-)

    ReplyDelete