Wednesday, July 20, 2011

New Comic Day! July 20th edition.

Hey there X-Maniacs, it's the original Comic Book Malefactor, X, here with yet another New Comic Day post! Can you believe it's almost August already? Sheesh, the summer is just flying by... This is another VERY full week for me comic book-wise(as you'll see for yourself soon enough), so let's skip the smalltalk and get into the heart of this post. As always, let's take a gander at last week's comic books before I get into which books I picked up this week... Last week's Pick of the Litter, New Mutants #27, was as good as I'd hoped it would be, coming away with a nearly perfect score of 9 1/2 out of 10. Last week's Runt of the Litter, Ghost Rider #1, was actually better than I'd expected it to be, receiving a perfectly average score of a 6. As for last week's average score, it was a 6.65, which was the EXACT same average score as the week before!! How frigging weird is THAT?!

Okay, that takes care of last week, let's head into this week and take a gander at what comic books I came away with today... Batman: Gates of Gotham #3, Hellblazer #281, Justice League of America #59, Superman/Batman #86, Ultimate Comics Fallout #2, Zatanna #15, Avengers #15, Avengers Academy #16, Captain America Corps #2, Daredevil #1, Fear Itself: Deadpool #2, Fear Itself: Fearsome Four #2, Fear Itself: FF #1, Fear Itself: The Home Front #4, Generation Hope #9, Invincible Iron Man #506, Iron Man 2.0 #7, Uncanny X-Men #541, X-Factor #222... That's almost 20 comics again... God, the summer is hell on my comic buying budget... So what do we have here... A handful of DC books, a mess of Fear Itself minis and tie-ins, and a few comics that I'm not looking forward to at all. Hmm, for this week's Pick of the Litter, I'm going to go with Invincible Iron Man #506. Matt Fraction has been bringing his A game to this series since the Fear Itself event started, so I'm expecting at the very least a 9 for a score here. As for this week's Runt, there are plenty of suspects, but I'm going to go with Generation Hope #9. This series has sucked since the get-go, if it doesn't improve here, with all of the Schism stuff going on, I think I'll finally give up and drop this title. As usual, I have a mess of comic books to read, which means I have lots of comics to review for the blog. Before I go though, a quick note... After doing 20 reviews in 7 days last week, I'm not sure if I'll be able to keep that pace again this week... Sometimes it's nice to just read a new comic without having to worry about reviewing it as well. So don't be surprised if I don't post reviews for EVERY comic you see listed above. I'll try my damnedest to push out as many reviews as humanly possible, but I can almost guarantee I won't get to them all. And that'll do it. Until next time, X out!

The Random Scan of the Week!Um, exactly how does Two-Face plan on escaping? I mean it's a giant roulette wheel! That's probably not Harvey's best moment right there...

11 comments:

  1. Another giant list of books to read haha. Of these, I picked up DD#1, batman GofG 3 and cap A corp #2.Looking forward to reading them as always. happy reading man. Im glad iron man got your pick of the litter because i almost picked it up, so your review my sway my puchases! happy reading man

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it's getting ridiculous with all these comics I'm picking up every week... But I love it! :D DD and Cap Corps SHOULD be good too, as should Avengers Academy, which is probably my favorite Avengers book, but Fraction has been bringing his A-game to Iron Man for a while now, so I expect near perfection here, thus making it my Pick. That review should be up much later tonight, btw. Hopefully you'll enjoy your books as well, and we can compare notes on DD, which I'm way curious about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Makes sense on being selective in your reviewing habits. I hope you post some thoughts on Daredevil, though -- I actually already picked it up, although I haven't read it yet.

    Do you know when the next issue of Schism comes out? I'm confused about the schedule...I thought each issue was being done by a different artist so it would come out weekly, or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm almost positive I'll do a full DD review since it's the first issue, Marc. Knowing the way I operate, I'll probably do posts for all 19 comics, but a few may just get the old Quick Thoughts treatment. I figure I'll probably do 6-8 full reviews, with the other 10 or so getting only my thoughts, a score and a scan. You know I'm a sucker for posting here at the blog!

    I actually thought the SAME thing, Marc! Maybe it's bi-monthly? I know Ultimate Fallout is coming out weekly, but I could have sworn Schism was the same way...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another big week for the X-Man. Lol, you keep it up I won't be able to come live with you, there won't be room for me :-p

    But remember what I said "I finished school I deserve to treat myself to some comics." lol. Well I'm sure that'll get old soon but for now ehh what the hell. And I'm also very impressed of your 20 reviews in 7 days, very impressive ;)

    Well, as you know I'm always looking forward to your Zatanna review. And by all means take your time lol. I'm a bit behind so lol, I'm in no rush to catch up right now. But I'll definitely peep in and read your other reviews this week. And always, Happy Reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you worry, Lisha. When you ditch JT and come to me, I'll make SURE there's room for you! :D

    Yeah, I do actually plan on taking it kind of easy this week(with my fingers crossed that next week will bring under 15 comics!), I'll review what I can, but 20 books in 7 days? That's a bit too much work, even for me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now thats how ya swoon a woman, lol.

    Well I know you'll enjoy yourself whilst reading your comics. And speaking of, I finally read #4 of Venom. That comic is amazing. I really enjoyed reading it on the way to work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HA!! "swoon"... Yes, JT should be taking lessons from me! :D God, he's gonna kill me if he ever reads this... :P

    Sweet! Check you out, Lisha, starting to get caught up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol, I won't let JT lay a hand on my X Man. He'll have to come through me. And I know he'll be here soon to interrupt lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I keep waiting for him to suddenly pop up, but so far nothing! It's weird and a bit unnerving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol, I know he'll be here soon as we let our guard down lol.

    ReplyDelete