Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Generation Hope #1

Overall: This issue deals solely with Hope and the other four “lights”(or newly manifested mutants)heading to Japan to locate the fifth and final light. You see, when these new mutant powers manifest, they leave the “light” confused and crazed until Hope can touch them, restoring their sanity and giving them control over their powers. Before Hope and the other lights(as well as Rogue, their chaperon)can get to Japan though, the fifth new mutant manifests his powers and goes on a rampage, killing people all throughout his apartment building with bizarre fleshy growths protruding from his body. Hope and company arrive on the scene and manage to ditch Rogue(who was tasked with keeping the new mutants alive), before heading into the apartment of the out of control new mutant. Eventually Hope reaches the newly minted mutant and tries to help him, but he seems to be deformed both physically and mentally, and this issue ends with the fifth new mutant erecting an enormous energy dome over his building.

Meh. I've got to say, this was a really disappointing way to start this series off... I kind of knew going into this comic that I probably wouldn't enjoy it based on the lead up in Uncanny X-Men, but I was still hopeful. Unfortunately, that hope went unfulfilled. It's not even necessarily the story or anything, because the villain of this piece seemed pretty interesting in a completely off his gourd sort of way. No, it's the five main characters in this series that bother me. I don't feel connected to any of them. Usually when there's a new junior X-Men team(Gen. X, New Mutants/Academy X), I'll automatically be drawn to at least one of the new students. Be it Chamber, Synch, Wither or Elixir. There'd always be that one character I'd tend care about. Here, not so much. I could care less about any of these characters. I can't stand Hope, and the stories for the other four characters just don't do anything for me. I'm not really sure what the target audience for this series is(teenage girls perhaps?), but I don't think it's I'm it.

Score: 5 1/2 out of 10.That's one ugly mutie!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting point about liking at least one character. I tend to do the same thing, and Hope is the only character I've seen that makes me want to buy this issue. But after reading this review, I'm thinking I should just stick to my policy of avoiding all X-titles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if I can't relate with one of the main characters in a team series, it's tough for me to get into the series. I've always been that way. As for Hope, she just annoys me. She kind of reminds me of Sage from the X-Treme X-Men series in that she always seems to be able to solve whatever problem that pops up. Except with Hope she'll just manifest whatever power she needs to get the job done. Need massive powers to deal with a bad guy? Done. Need the ability to calm somebody with a touch? Done. It might be wise to stick with that policy, Kello. :P

    ReplyDelete