Saturday, June 27, 2009

X-Men Legacy #225

To be honest, I wasn't planning on reviewing anything tonight. However, I've made sure to post something here for 7 or 8 months straight now, so I figured I'd read something I really don't care about, that way I can half-ass a review while still providing a post! Hey, if nothing else at least I'm honest right? This comic is STILL written by Mike Carey... I really don't know why! I like some of Mike's pre-X-Men Legacy work, but his run on this book has been forgettable, and that's the nicest thing I can say! Well, without further ado, here's my half-assed review of X-Men Legacy #225.

-This issue opens with Prof. X visiting Exodus' Acolytes telepathically while they slept and telling them he was there to destroy the Acolytes. The Acolytes wake up to alarms and rush to the security cameras to see Prof. X strolling through their security measures. It seems that Prof. X planted telepathic suggestions in the heads of many of the Acolytes while they slept allowing him free passage through their security systems.

-Exodus sends some of his cannon fodder after Prof. X, and he makes quick work of them. After making his way through the team, Prof. X confronts Exodus, and the two have a telepathic tete-a-tete.

-During the conversation, Prof. X convinces Exodus that the old ways of mutants battling mutants wouldn't work anymore and that he should allow his Acolytes to head to San Fran to stand with the X-Men for when the humans inevitably try to wipe out mutantkind once and for all.

-Some of the Acolytes aren't exactly pleased by this turn of events, but after Exodus destroys their headquarters, he leaves them with little choice but to head to San Fransisco. This issue closes with Norman Osborn(he's in THIS comic TOO!!!)strolling over to Prof. X and Exodus, telling Prof. X that he needs to talk to him.

So, Prof X wants the Acolytes to hang out with the X-Men in San Fran so they can battle humankind together? Wouldn't it be smarter to keep the few remaining mutants away from each other so they can't all be wiped out by a tactical nuclear strike or something along those lines? Eh, what the hell I guess, send all of the muties to San Fran!

I've always been a fan of Prof. X, but I have to say, I'm not overly fond of the new Bruce Willis from "Die Hard" Prof. X... I've always liked the Professor as the brains behind the X-Men, not as the dude on the front lines of the fight. Yeah, Prof. X has those kick-ass powers and all, but I liked him best when he would provide the X-teams with sage advice while riding around in his pimped out Shi'ar wheelchair.

I liked this issue of Legacy more than any other issue in recent memory, but with my dislike of the direction this comic has moved during the past 25 issues or so that's not exactly saying much. I wish Exodus would have come across a bit stronger(he's another character I like), but what can you do? For a score, I'll give this comic a 7 out of 10 along with a mild recommendation.

2 comments:

  1. Instead of saying what you prefer in an X-Men comic, you should actually critique the issue. I know. Crraaaazzzy idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, as I stated in the open, I wasn't planning on putting much thought/effort in this review. Plus I did(kind of)critique this comic, I didn't like Prof. X's suggestion to send the Acolytes to San Fran(it seems more dangerous to mutantkind to put the few remaining mutants together)and I also critiqued Prof. X himself.

    Hmmm, with that reaction to what I wrote, you wouldn't happen to be MIKE Carey would you???

    ReplyDelete