Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Quick Look At... Daredevil #8

Next up as I try to blitz through this week's comics? Daredevil. This is the second and final part of the storyline that began in last week's Amazing Spider-Man.

Daredevil #8:

What Happened: Spidey, DD and Black Cat head to the home of the scientist who created the missing holographic device that was stolen and discover him hiding in a safe room. DD smells poison on the scientist, who quickly admits that he had been involved with the frame up of Black Cat with regards to the “stolen” device. While Spidey takes the scientist to the hospital, DD and BC track down the device and while DD is returning it to it's case, BC gets an offer to work for the Black Spectre organization in stealing the Omegadrive from Matt Murdock(Daredevil!). We don't learn what BC says, but after the mission, she ends up back at DD's apartment for some sexual situations. However, they are interrupted by a phone call from Foggy Nelson telling DD that his father's body had vanished from it's grave.

Thoughts: Meh. This was an okay story, as usual. I mean I really haven't read a TERRIBLE DD story yet, but I also haven't read a great one either... I'm not exactly sure where all of the love for this series is coming from. Oh well, maybe things will pick up for me next issue.

Score: 6 out of 10.
daredevil #8
Poor Spidey...

5 comments:

  1. I loved that panel where spidey's just watch DD&BC and he's like "this is my villain origin".

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA! Yep, it was either that page or this one that was getting scanned. Poor Spidey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this issue. Not great, but i enjoyed it as well. I think the acclaim comes from the fact that waid and rivera and his team were able to turn daredevil around so easily. From being one of the most depressing, always targeted heroes to someone that heavily embraced life and the trials that come with it. THats just a thought but i have to say i loved brubaker and bendis run on the series (brubakers was brutal), but it has been a nice change of pace. I personally love the art, as it give it sort of an older style feel. I'm a huge mark waid fan too though. SO maybe I am biased! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've probably hit the nail right on the head re: DD, Cap. I also loved the Bendis->Brubaker->Diggle work on DD. Although I WAS really let down by the end of Shadowland and the DD Reborn(Rebirth, Return, whatever it was called!) mini. I guess for me this series, while not horrible by any means, has been kind of jarring in that DD went from being ULTRA depressed due to his role in Shadowland, to being happy-go-lucky between the end of the DD mini to the start of this series. And totally agreed on Mark Waid. He's the sole reason I buy Irredeemable and is why I didn't drop this series.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scene where the villains turn on the projector and say "he can't hit what he can't see", while DD is smiling in the corner was classic. I love DD and this issue, but I'm biased as DD is my favorite Marvel hero next to Deadpool.

    ReplyDelete