Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Batman: Gates of Gotham #5

One more comic to go and I've successfully read/reviewed everything from this week! Huzzah for me! We close the week out with the comic I was least looking forward to reading, the final issue of the Gates of Gotham mini-series. Here's hoping it turns out better than I expect it to...

Batman: Gates of Gotham #5(of 5):

Summary: Batman(for the VERY last time, Dick Grayson) attacks the Architect, after the Architect had placed some bombs at the base of one of Gotham's bridges. While Bats is dealing with the Architect on the bridge, Robin and Black Bat are in the process of disarming the bombs. Robin and Black Bat manage to blow the bombs up away from the bridge, which distracts the Architect long enough for Bats to gain the upper hand. Bats explains to the Architect that his ancestor, Nicholas Gates, was a madman, and that the diary he left behind was full of wild exaggerations. It turns out that the suit the Architect was wearing was what caused Nicholas' insanity, which causes the Architect to fly into a rage, since he couldn't believe it. With the Architect now out of control, Bats easily knocks him out and hands him over to the cops. From there, Dick heads back to the Bat-Bunker and informs Bruce Wayne as to what went down, telling him that the Architect's real name was Dillon May, a decedent of Nicholas Gates, who felt that his ancestor had been wronged by Gotham's famous families and the city itself, thus his rash of bombings. Oh yeah, plus he was crazy too. Can't forget that. From there, Bruce tells Dick that he was returning to Gotham, the other members of the Bat-family bond, and we end with a final flashback to crazy Nicholas Gates.

Thoughts: Eh. This was a perfectly acceptable comic book. Nothing more, nothing less. The ending/reveal of who the Architect was wasn't a surprise at all, I called it about two issues back, and when I can see the swerve coming, you KNOW it's obvious! This was an okay mini-series, that had a few ups and downs, but was pretty forgettable overall. If I had to do it all over again, I probably wouldn't have bothered picking it up, because it just never turned into the great story I was hoping it would. Oh well.

Score: 7 out of 10.Well that sure didn't sound promising!

2 comments:

  1. hey man im back my computer crashed for the past 2 weeks
    check thease out
    ok most badass yet mabye uncharacteristic pic of daredevil ever
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=33937
    i defend this dew too this is without question war time and the game changes on what heros must do to save lives and well there fucking nazis
    what do u thank of this?

    second
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/prev_img.php?disp=img&pid=1314725740
    NO one but frank cho should be allowed to draw valkyrie from now on.......... Make it So (lol)

    hey u said u picked up the last issue of uncanny x-men u didnt review it? what did u think of it i liked it alot more than the 2 issues before it and i like where they are going with collossus and this actualy look like they are going to make this a long term change with his character

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn, that sucks about your computer, man. The power cord for my laptop died out on me earlier this year, leaving me unable to get online for like a week, and that was like torture!

    First off, that art probably swayed me into picking up that issue when it comes out... I was on the fence 'cause the last issue of New Avengers was epically bad, but DD looked awesome here. And I've got no problem with DD blowing away a mess of Nazis. If that's the only way to save people, then that's what you've got to do. I'm still not sold on DD being a member of the Avengers though... I JUST read an Avengers comic from the Busiek/Perez run where DD was watching the Avengers and thinking that it'd be cool to be a member, but that it wasn't for him. I'm pretty sure Bendis wrote something similar back when the first New Avengers series started, with DD turning the team down but recommending Echo instead. I don't get why EVERY popular Marvel character has to be on the Avengers now... Some heroes just don't fit on the team.

    Wow, that second pic is pretty damn surprising... I honestly didn't think Sin would be getting out of FI alive... It looks like I may be wrong there. That kind of sucks, because I was really looking forward to Bucky getting avenged by Steve at some point.

    Yeah, I picked it up 2(?) weeks ago, and it's sitting RIGHT in front of me as I type this, but I just don't want to read it, you know? I've legitimately hated Kieron Gillen's Uncanny run, and after last month's issue of Uncanny, with Juggy possessing people, I just have no interest in opening that comic up... I'm sure I'll read it eventually, especially since you said it was better than the prior two issues, but I've got to tell ya, I'm NOT looking forward to it. As a matter of fact, I doubt I'll be picking up Uncanny #1 after seeing that Gillen is writing it and seeing who was on that team... It looks brutal!

    ReplyDelete